Sponsored by:

1972 Nova LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1972 Nova LS swap

Hi guys:
I have transplanted a 2004 5.3 Vortec in to my 72 4 door nova. I have done the wiring modification based on LT1.com instruction and Branden has reprogram the ECU as well. This is the second time I have done this. The first one is in my 79 Camaro. Anyways, before I put everything back together , I wanted to crank the engine and be sure it is firing and running well. I am having a hard time getting the engine started. It cranks but doesn't start. I have 52 lb of fuel pressure at the rail, so the fuel is not my problem. I tried to connect the OBDII in hope of getting some information but my scanner lights come on but there is no message on the screen. I guess my next step is checking the coil and injectors for the power but I though somebody may have some other ideas. I have flushed the injectors when I had the whole fuel rails taken apart so I know the injectors function but how do you check the power to injectors?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2020, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I’ve had numerous injectors stuck. I jump them with a 9V battery and you should hear them click if they are working. Any motor that sits a while seems like the fuel gums them up.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

"NOID" lights. Check power to the injector with light flashing NOID lights. These are free rental tools at most auto parts stores.

Rick
Old 04-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
"NOID" lights. Check power to the injector with light flashing NOID lights. These are free rental tools at most auto parts stores.

Rick
That was my next step but the auto part close to me didn't have them (somebody rented it and brought back defective!). I guess I have to go to another one. With this COVID19 we are trying to limit the exposure.

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
I’ve had numerous injectors stuck. I jump them with a 9V battery and you should hear them click if they are working. Any motor that sits a while seems like the fuel gums them up.
I will try to check them again but I did flush and cleaned the injectors individually using a 9v battery when I had the fuel system apart.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Check your grounds, make sure they're tight and there is no paint under them hindering the grounding. Also double check the one down low behind the power steering pump, it's easy to miss and will cause a no start problem.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Problem solved. The engine is purring nicely. Now, I can put the rest back together.
The problem was a stupid mistake that I did. By mistake, I used an accessory power feed to the power the stand alone harness. It had power on the accessory position but it would cut off the power when the ignition was "on" position.
Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova LS swap