Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie Fox/Ls swap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Noobie Fox/Ls swap question

Hello all, noobie to the forum here. I have a question that may seem small to some, but I have never messed with LS engines or Fox Mustangs 'til now. I'm hoping to make this a father/son project to help "pass the torch" to future car enthusiasts. So, I'm here for some advice as I plan this out. Here goes;
I have a stripped out / caged Fox that was originally a 4 cyl. I mean stripped (empty roller). No harnesses of any kind left. Being that I'm wanting to LS swap it, what harnesses (especially modules/ecm's/relays) would I need to locate to get the marker lights/head lights/ tail lights, etc. to work again? I'm not too concerned about dash gauges, as I'm sure I'll end up w/aftermarket gauges there. Fuel pump probably in-tank, so I won't have to bother with bulkheads or cutting trunk floors, etc.
Reason I ask is, I'm not sure how Ford tied their wiring together, be it with relays/modules, etc. I wish I had a complete 4cyl car, so I could just remove what I didn't need, rather than find what I DO need. Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance for any advice! It's the first step in a long (hopefully enjoyable) process!

(Btw, this is an old school garage/jackstands project, wish I had a lift! lol)

Last edited by modrob83; 04-22-2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added note
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Since all the Ford wiring funkiness is gone, you should look into an universal hot rod harness as sold by Painless, American Autowire or others, some even offer a LS engine harness that complements their chassis harness kit. May seem a bit pricey, but necessary if you can't design and plan your own electrical system.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

When I did my Fox Mustang in 1990 I had the same issue, no chassis wiring, after some research I ended up going with Ron Francis because he had all of the connectors for the ignition switch, turn signals, etc that no one else offered, he has since upgraded his offering for the Fox Mustangs to include most of the front and rear lighting harnesses for the 87 and up cars, its a little costly but well worth it in my opinion. Other alternative is a junk yard harness but remember you're dealing with decades old wire technology and connectors. Good luck I think you and your son will enjoy the project once it's done.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Hi & thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. Keep 'em coming if you have any other experience/advice. Sure could use it.
I agree, the more I look into/think about it - stock stuff just doesn't seem feasible for the reasons you all have already stated. I was adding up some used stuff (ebay) here and there, and it really doesn't seem to be too cost effective as compared to other options. I suppose the connectors for the igniton switch, etc. is prolly what concerns me the most to make it all work. Neutral safety switch is a definite, also. I'll check out you folks' suggestions so far, and check back for any more input.

'Preciate ya!
Old 04-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Yes I second the Ron Francis suggestion. They have a number of kits specifically tailored to the fox body. The added plus with their kits is the customer support that comes with it is excellent. If you get stuck they will walk you through it.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Looks like I'll have to check them out. I've learned in the many years ago past that sometimes cutting corners isn't worth it in the long run. Thanks

Quick Reply: Noobie Fox/Ls swap question