Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which starter for my combo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Which starter for my combo?

I did some searching and asking around but I got some conflicting info. I was hoping someone could set me straight. Here is my combo:

2006 5.3 L33 with flat flexplate and crank spacer
1996 4l80e

My converter from Jakes fit perfect. I just need to figure out which starter to use. When I got the engine, it did not have a spacer on it. Just the flexplate. I got a new flexplate and spacer from jegs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Novapat67
I did some searching and asking around but I got some conflicting info. I was hoping someone could set me straight. Here is my combo:

2006 5.3 L33 with flat flexplate and crank spacer
1996 4l80e

My converter from Jakes fit perfect. I just need to figure out which starter to use. When I got the engine, it did not have a spacer on it. Just the flexplate. I got a new flexplate and spacer from jegs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
If you had the starter that went to it it will work fine. Otherwise any truck or ls based starter should work. The flexplate you pulled off was dished for the 4l60 (65?) that was originally mated to that motor. Once you add the spacer the teeth end up in the same position. If that converter had multiple bolt patters you can use the dished flexplate a lot of times with a converter hub to flexplate adapter. Someone else can chime in though.

Quick Reply: Which starter for my combo?