Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Re-Clock their Alternators?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 551 Likes on 345 Posts

Default Anyone Re-Clock their Alternators?

Hi there,

I test fit the engine accessories on my motor last night and realized that now my alternator battery post will be occupying the same space as my frame. I think the best easiest solution for me is to re-clock my alternator 180* to get the stud away from the frame. I searched for a while today and couldn't really find what I was looking for so I thought I'd reach out here. The alternator works great as is, so I'm not looking to do a rebuild. Is it as simple as pulling the pulley off and the 4 housing bolts and twisting it 180*? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-18-2021, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have re-clocked older alternators (think late '70s) without any problems. I don't imagine the newer ones are much different.
You will need to separate the front casting to be able to turn it. It's a tight fit. You can re-clock it 90 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise, or 180 degrees as you suggested.

Ken
Old 02-19-2021, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have re-clocked a couple older ones, pretty simple to do.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to clock the alternator on my LM7 to fit on the passenger's side. I used this:
http://www.powermastermotorsports.co...lternators.pdf
Old 02-22-2021, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 551 Likes on 345 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I attempted to re-clock the alternator and pretty sure I messed it up. The wire windings appear to be stuck in the front housing and it started pulling on the wires that come out of the windings in the rear of the housing. I'm also pretty sure I messed up the threads... I'll probably just tear this one apart to see how it all is supposed to come apart then buy a new one and hopefully it comes apart easier.

Quick Reply: Anyone Re-Clock their Alternators?