Sponsored by:

Alternator questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Alternator questions

Hello all!

I am swapping a 2006 L33 into my 65 Nova. I am currently at the wiring stage of the project. I have most of it figured out but I am a little bit confused about alternator wiring.

I am using a 2 wire Dr44 alternator and plan to use the Holley Terminator Max X to control the voltage via the PWM output. For that side of things, I know I need to put a 5v diode inline and connect to the Holley wiring harness via the L terminal. I got the info from this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#&gid=1&pid=4

My question is about the factory harness. I had converted to a cs130 alternator and have eliminated the voltage regulator. In this case, do I also need to splice in the wire that previously went to the F terminal? I already have a heavy gauge wire running from the post on the back of the alternator to the horn relay as that is the main power distribution point for the factory harness.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some diagrams:

https://imgur.com/a/kYY76m5
Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 533 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Novapat67
Hello all!

I am swapping a 2006 L33 into my 65 Nova. I am currently at the wiring stage of the project. I have most of it figured out but I am a little bit confused about alternator wiring.

I am using a 2 wire Dr44 alternator and plan to use the Holley Terminator Max X to control the voltage via the PWM output. For that side of things, I know I need to put a 5v diode inline and connect to the Holley wiring harness via the L terminal. I got the info from this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#&gid=1&pid=4

My question is about the factory harness. I had converted to a cs130 alternator and have eliminated the voltage regulator. In this case, do I also need to splice in the wire that previously went to the F terminal? I already have a heavy gauge wire running from the post on the back of the alternator to the horn relay as that is the main power distribution point for the factory harness.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some diagrams:

https://imgur.com/a/kYY76m5
I don't think the F terminal on the DR44 and the CS130 serve the same function, so my guess is not to connect it.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSswap
I don't think the F terminal on the DR44 and the CS130 serve the same function, so my guess is not to connect it.
Good to know. Let me know if I have this correctly.

If I am using the PWM- to control the alternator with the holley terminator max x, I would just need to wire in a resistor to step the voltage down from 12v to 5v so that the alternator only sees 5v at the L terminal.

What resistor should I ask for at the electronics store? Thanks. I really appreciate your help!
Old 06-25-2021, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 533 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Novapat67
Good to know. Let me know if I have this correctly.

If I am using the PWM- to control the alternator with the holley terminator max x, I would just need to wire in a resistor to step the voltage down from 12v to 5v so that the alternator only sees 5v at the L terminal.

What resistor should I ask for at the electronics store? Thanks. I really appreciate your help!
Post number 32 in the sticky for the 2 pin alternators.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. I will ask for a 1k ohm resistor!

Quick Reply: Alternator questions