Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to understand

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to understand

I started working at a shop were most cars that come in are older and have chevy engine swaps I'm talking about like impalas, contennitals, cars before my time with chevy 5.3 engines I'm a modern car worker I work and understand everything electrical on new vehicles but what gets me wondering is how do some of these cars come in with a factory chevy pcm with an aftermarket harness on them I have seen some videos on YouTube were they can take out certain pins that they will not use but doesn't that mean that the pcm can still detect them or it just that the system is to old on the chosen pcm for example lots of the swaps I see don't have the rear o2s or the evap purge valve or do they just flash the pcm so it does not see those sensors
Old 06-27-2022, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,145 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris775656
I started working at a shop were most cars that come in are older and have chevy engine swaps. I'm talking about like impalas, contennitals, cars before my time with chevy 5.3 engines.
I'm a modern car worker I work and understand everything electrical on new vehicles but what gets me wondering is how do some of these cars come in with a factory chevy pcm with an after market harness on them?
I have seen some videos on YouTube were they can take out certain pins that they will not use, but doesn't that mean that the pcm can still detect them or it just that the system is to old on the chosen pcm? For example lots of the swaps I see don't have the rear o2s or the evap purge valve, or do they just flash the pcm so it does not see those sensors?
Fixed it....
The following 2 users liked this post by G Atsma:
Exeodus (06-27-2022), theunderlord (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Some computer settings can be deleted with a laptop. A common one is misfire codes due to a cam change. Fuel trims are changed as well. You need to research the tuning forum here to understand it better.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Trying to understand