Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2-T56 swap in A-body, reverse light hookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2-T56 swap in A-body, reverse light hookup

Hi, new to the forum. In the process of installing a LS2-T56 in my 70 cutlass convertible and a bit stumped on the reverse light hookup. have a PSI harness that has the classic green & pink wire connector for the T56 (out of 2006 GTO). I also have the green & pink wires from the stock wiring harness (AAW) to the reverse lights. Question i has is should i splice the green wire from original harness to the PSI harness to provide the power to the light when in reverse (will the PSI provide enough current to drive the lights (+12volts)? Or does the PSI harness provide only +5volts and/or supply minimal current? Im assuming if the PSI is driving +5volts then i would need to use a replay of some sort to signal the reverse lights?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Old 01-28-2023, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I am not sure how the PSI harness works but the car needs the O.E. wiring to go to the switch that completes the circuit to turn on the lights. The switch in the T56 just needs to be wired that way. The stock fuse box or car has the 12 volt for the backups fused. The harness shown plugs to car and goes out the firewall I have put it out into the trans tunnel then out to the switch on the trans.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

I am pretty sure that the stock harness grounds all of the rear lights to the body and the backup circuit provides power. So wire the power circuit through the T56 reverse light switch. I am not really sure why the PSI harness includes the reverse lights on the engine harness.

Andrew
Old 02-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so after some more research i concluded that the PSI harness needs to connect to reverse lockout and VSS (both on driver side back of T56). PSI doesnt care about the reverse lights (although the reverse lockout wiring colors are the same as stock GM reverse lights - pink/lt green). i will wire the stock GM harness to the Reverse light switch on the pass side middle of the t56 (where the switch is).

Thanks for the help!

Ed

Quick Reply: LS2-T56 swap in A-body, reverse light hookup