Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen LT1 to LS1 and A/C Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 4th gen LT1 to LS1 and A/C Conversion

I finished my lt1-ls1 10 years ago and never tackled the a/c. I plan on taking out the interior this winter and replacing the dash. The dash is actually out and I have it repinned to the new gauge cluster, so before I button everything up, I don't know if I need to replace lt1 evaporator with the ls1 so that I can just plug and play the whole thing together. I have the ls1 a/c compressor, and the condensor. I don't have a dryer yet, and i don't know what custom hose size that is yet from the dryer to the evaporator. Anyone actually finished their a/c as part of a conversion?
Old 09-19-2023, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep all of the factory system except the compressor. Make custom lines for suction and high pressure gas.
Low pressure is usually #12 hose but #10 is enough. For the discharge use #8.

You can use the LS low pressure switch. It will screw right on to the older style reciever driers.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
I finished my lt1-ls1 10 years ago and never tackled the a/c. I plan on taking out the interior this winter and replacing the dash. The dash is actually out and I have it repinned to the new gauge cluster, so before I button everything up, I don't know if I need to replace lt1 evaporator with the ls1 so that I can just plug and play the whole thing together. I have the ls1 a/c compressor, and the condensor. I don't have a dryer yet, and i don't know what custom hose size that is yet from the dryer to the evaporator. Anyone actually finished their a/c as part of a conversion?
F Body?

I haven’t charged my system yet but was able to use everything as it was with the LS1 compressor minus the pressure hose to from compressor to condenser. I had to have it lengthened 1” and had a local AC parts shop fab the hose, they use the existing hard line, add new hose and re crimp. Evap will not need to be changed however I would flush everything before putting it together using a new LT1 drier and THX valve.

Some tweaking of the lines and adjusting the main harness slightly on the shock tower to reach the switches is all that was needed. The compressor lines will need a little tweak as well but it’s really a simple deal. I will have to look back at what I did on the wiring side (might have extended/moved a few around) and update if needed.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

super helpful. yes Fbody.

I'm debating just taking out the core in the car since I'm looking at it and just order the LS fbody part and then I can do all the hoses stock and not worrry about making custom hoses. that way everything is new and i can just connect and charge and move on.

I have a ls1 wiring harness from an Fbody so all the connections on there.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
super helpful. yes Fbody.

I'm debating just taking out the core in the car since I'm looking at it and just order the LS fbody part and then I can do all the hoses stock and not worrry about making custom hoses. that way everything is new and i can just connect and charge and move on.

I have a ls1 wiring harness from an Fbody so all the connections on there.
Only one hose needs to be modified by 1”. I was able to use all other components minus the drive and compressor which are obvious of course. The original wiring from the LS harness needed a little bit of tweaking to reach the switch.

Quick Reply: 4th gen LT1 to LS1 and A/C Conversion