Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mix and match engine, PCM and TAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mix and match engine, PCM and TAC

Ok, I got a 06 LQ4 from a chev van, missing lots of parts. It came with a TAC, harness and pedal from a 06 pickup. I have a Intake and TB from a 06 truck as well. The TAC, harness and pedal all work, as confirmed by swapping them into my Jeep, which has a 06 LQ9 setup, and they function fine.

I have an PCM from a 04 chev pickup.

With everything assembled on a stand, the pedal works to only part throttle (and the TB begins to move), and then stops. Reading the codes, I see a U0107 "Lost comms with TAC muodule"
Doing some reading, most folks say that you need EVERYTHING to match years. PCM, TAC, TB & pedal. While others say that if the TAC, TB & pedal are matched, you should be good.

Can anyone clarify for me? Can I use the 06 throttle setup on a 04 PCM? or do I need to look for an 06 PCM?

Rob
Old 03-29-2024, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbywolf
Ok, I got a 06 LQ4 from a chev van, missing lots of parts. It came with a TAC, harness and pedal from a 06 pickup. I have a Intake and TB from a 06 truck as well. The TAC, harness and pedal all work, as confirmed by swapping them into my Jeep, which has a 06 LQ9 setup, and they function fine.

I have an PCM from a 04 chev pickup.

With everything assembled on a stand, the pedal works to only part throttle (and the TB begins to move), and then stops. Reading the codes, I see a U0107 "Lost comms with TAC muodule"
Doing some reading, most folks say that you need EVERYTHING to match years. PCM, TAC, TB & pedal. While others say that if the TAC, TB & pedal are matched, you should be good.

Can anyone clarify for me? Can I use the 06 throttle setup on a 04 PCM? or do I need to look for an 06 PCM?

Rob
you can't use an 06 pedal/tac with a 2004 pcm, UNLESS THE 2004 PCM IS FLASHED TO THE 2006 OPERATING SYSTEM.

the '03 to '05 pedal/tac module/operating system are compatible, and 06/07(classic) pedal/tac module/operating system are compatible. But you cannot mix and match between the two without, as you discovered, getting faults and lack of throttle response.

as far as i know, the limitation is not the PCM itself, it's the operating system.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, that is sort of what I figured. I am holding off buying the HP tuner credits to unlock the PCM until I either get hold of a 06 PCM, or an earlier set of pedal, TAC and TB. I may pull the PCM out of my LQ9 setup so I can run this on the stand. It should be tuned close enough to hear the LQ4 run. I'll be on the lookout for another 06 PCM
Old 03-29-2024, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbywolf
Yea, that is sort of what I figured. I am holding off buying the HP tuner credits to unlock the PCM until I either get hold of a 06 PCM, or an earlier set of pedal, TAC and TB. I may pull the PCM out of my LQ9 setup so I can run this on the stand. It should be tuned close enough to hear the LQ4 run. I'll be on the lookout for another 06 PCM
consider investing in obdxprovt ($80 usd, not sure canadian). and then you can use the free suite of tunerpro, universal patcher, and PCMHammer. It would cost you less than the HPT credits and you would gain a lot of flexibility.

Quick Reply: Mix and match engine, PCM and TAC