Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Work First :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body Work First :(

i don't know if it is a good or bad decision yet, but i have decided to get all my body work, paint, roll cage, and suspension work done before i drop teh motor in.
a friend of mine who works at a body shop told me it would be 10times as hard to get everythign to look perfect if i tried to clean the car up with the new motor already installed.
i still plan to roll out the new hotness in the spring, i was jsut planning to drive it to completion instead of waiting til everything else was done too.
one advantage is that i will most likely nto put the motor in n/a at all. the extra time before the motor install will give me a chance to get everythign i need ready for the turbo set up

later
tim
Old 08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I am installing the motor and everything first, then pull it out do the body and paint. that way the engine goes back in and is alot neater and wont scratch things up as bad.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing that is preventing me from doing that is that i will likely be switching to a tubular k-member when the body is all cleaned up and the motor goes in. i have access to shop time, i was plannign to drop teh motor in solo then lift teh car up and install teh tranny from underneath to avoid chipping things. hopefully it will work out.
anyone have any suggestions on coil relo for a 3rd gen?
i really want this car to trun out show quality, and those thigns are ugly as sin. lol

thanks guys
tim
Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk's Thirdgen Parts has everything you need for a coilover conversion, www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
Old 08-16-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait!!! Ok now that I have your attention the best way to get a car repainted in your situation would be to get under the hood painted then drop in the engine. After the engine is running the way you want it then go ahead and paint the out side of the car. Trust me, this might seem a little harder but at least if you scrated an outer fender you will not need to get it painted again. My uncle learned this the hard way on a show car.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:35 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've already repainted my car, and i'm using the tubular k-member, gonna drop the whole mess out from under the car and slide the new stuff right back in. the top will be covered in fender covers. my line of thought was not to get old paint dust in a very expensive LS1 . a repaint is a lot cheaper than a trashed engine.

Quick Reply: Body Work First :(