Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering in way of AC! 3rd Gen LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering in way of AC! 3rd Gen LS1

Ok, I know that when you drop in an ls1 into a thirdgen and use the stock kmember the a/c cant be used unless you put a notch in the kmember. So I bought a tubular Kmember for hawks that clears that problem up. But now when I go to put the a/c in I cant bolt it in because it is hitting the steering arm . Couple of questions...

-Has this happend to anyone else/what did you do about it?

-Can I somehow modify the stock steering system (not rack and pinion) to be able to fit?

-If not, can I buy a stock rack and pinion from a later model camaro and hook it up to my steering colum(I have a mount for it on the Kmember) because I dont want to buy the conversion one for over a g.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I have heard about this problem, but i am not going with a/c so i have not been worried about it. I think to fix it you just move the steering arm slightly to clear it. may have to do some drilling for a different mount location.

Clint
Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We put A/C on one 3rd gen here and there was a slight interference between one of the A/C mounting bosses and the idler arm. Nothing major but as you can see it did make a scratch mark in the A/C mounting boss.

A couple of seconds with the grinder and the problem was solved.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 10-12-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea I think i can work around that, but I cant even get it bolted in because the pulley is hitting the other arm(sorry for the lack of proper terms). Ill try to get a picture of it later...
Old 10-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Teching In

a little off the subject but i was wondering if the tubular k frame eliminates the rear lower control arm mount being in the way of the headers. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 84z28ls1
a little off the subject but i was wondering if the tubular k frame eliminates the rear lower control arm mount being in the way of the headers. Thanks.

I am still wondering the same thing, there are a few people out there now getting tubular k-members, I plan on ordering one soon from PA racing(sponsor------>) But i dont have the funds for the LS1 quite yet, so it will be a little longer before i can say for sure. Hopefully some one will find out sooner.

Clint
Old 10-17-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well from what I can tell It does somewhat...still not a whole lot of room but probably more than if you use the stock frame...
Anyone have any more ideas on my original question??? I really dont have the money for a conversion rack and pinon..
Old 10-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Teching In

back to your subject, fbody mototrsports quotes in their ls1 installation article that they "slotted the idler arm mounting holes to slide the idler arm down a 1/4" or so". check it out www.fbodymotorsports.com/91_z28_ls1_engine
Old 10-18-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea I was thinking about doing that, but if you dont get it perfectly on each side wont it screw up the steering? Im not exactly a master fabricator and I would most likely be doing it with a dremmel. This does sound like one of the only solutions, I hope it is the right one...

*its also hitting on the alternator too...

Quick Reply: Steering in way of AC! 3rd Gen LS1