Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel line question regarding pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel line question regarding pump

hey again, well i write this time but with a simple question lol! i finally have my motor mountin the car and i am now working on the fuel system. but i do have a question! i have a 16 gallon fuel cell mounted in the rear of my 68 firebird. i cut the whole in the trunk got the cell mounted but i thought it was way low, so i raised it two inches and it looks just right. i have 8 an steel braided line going to my fuel pump. i have just under three feet in line before i get to the fuel pump! my question is, if i mount this pump on the bottom of the trunk pan, is the pump gonna have trouble sucking the fuel in? is it ok to have the pump mounted higher than where the fuel is coming out of?!? any help is always wanted and greatly appreciated! thanks so much

daniel
Old 10-20-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I think the pump needs to be below the lowest point of the fuel cell/tank. I may be wrong, but that seems like the best idea since they're better at pushing than pulling.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

and i now that they do more pushing than pulling, but i dont really have a place that i can mount it to?!? guess i will hae to make something to hold it in place. thanks for the advice though

daniel
Old 10-20-2004, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I made a bracket that mounts to the bottom of the trunk floor, and fits in front of the stock fuel tank on my '69. My pump mounts to it, and is just below the sump on my tank. Pretty easy to make, just get some 1/8" aluminum sheetmetal or regular sheetmetal and make one bend in it.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

which is what i guess i will do. what is the longest you would make the line from the pump to the cell?!? thanks again for all the help

daniel