Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a question answered

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need a question answered

I am new to this whole LS1 swapping deal. I have a 2003 GMC sierra 2wd short cab, short bed, V6. i was wondering, since i heard from someplace else, that you could take the V6 out and put in the LS1 into my truck givin u have the computer and wirering harness. is this true?! i also have the 5speed manual tranny and was wondering if the LS1 worked, that the 6 speed that came with the ls1 would fit where the 5spd is now? thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No you cannot just bolt it up...dont quote me but, I'm sure you can find mounts easily... As for the wiring thats where you have to spend more time.....The v8 uses a different pcm and wiring....Talk to speartech about modifying the new v8 harness for your truck, hear they do good work and when you get it back its all labled and ready to plug in without any extra wires on it....hope that helped.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hit a newer model truck at the salvage yard. I am from falls city just a little south of you. Call Brothers truck salvage and talk to Terry. Get the harness and pcm from a truck and you can then use a 5.7 ls1 in place of the 5.3. You can either tune it with ls1 edit etc or just stock program it for a mn6 ta or camaro. If you want some help into the project pm me. I have done several of these projects at the shop and terry has helped me tremendously with parts and odds and ends. chris