Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 240sx.....240ss!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 1998 S14 Se and a 2003 vette LS1.

I really want to keep the low profile pan. Having the lowest center of gravity possible is at the top of my priority list. It's unfortunate that the steering rack is behind the crossmember on the 240sx. With my car here, this is just a guesstimate, but I don't think that there is a whole bunch more than 7" from the back of the rack to the firewall verticle!

The other problem is the depths of the pans. Everyone is using the GTO pan which is 6" deep in front. The corvette pan is somewhere between 4.75" and 5.25" deep. So best case scenario, any one using a gto pan is throwing away at least .75" and not having the engine as low as it can go.

Most people aren't going to want to hear this but that leaves four options:

1. dry sump: $$$ and a bad idea on the street.
2. modify the gto pan and the oil pickup so that the sump is no deeper than needed, then maybe even some more mods for clearancing around the steering rack.
3. move the firewall.
4. put in a front suspension from another car that has the steering rack in front.

Maybe it's just because I don't know any better, but right now I'm leaning towards pulling six inches out of the firewall so that I can keep my gullwing pan, and get that engine as far back and down as possible. Brian's weight distribution should end up better than 55/45, which is probably better than stock. And you never hear anyone complaing about the stock handling, especially after some well thought out mods. So by shoving the engine back even farther than he could (he's trying to sell kits, and kit buyers don't want to be hacking and welding on firewalls and tranny tunnels) Hopefully I can get real close to the magical 50/50. We'll see.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Teching In

so theres a bunch of people who have done this swap in this thread....you guys still on this board?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

We're still on the board and happy to help anybody build their car. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Marshun you just need to look around I think there are now currently like 5 240 build threads scattered around pages 1,2,3 (at the latest) Feel free to see the different mount systems we came up with. Most of us I believe have spent less than 300 for our mount systems. (clears stock hood, doesnt requrie 2 inch spacer ECT)
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chin180sx
Marshun you just need to look around I think there are now currently like 5 240 build threads scattered around pages 1,2,3 (at the latest) Feel free to see the different mount systems we came up with. Most of us I believe have spent less than 300 for our mount systems. (clears stock hood, doesnt requrie 2 inch spacer ECT)
yeah i saw the aluminum blocks and uhh some others.

i saw the LT swap and i think there was another, but im going for the LSx swap myself so thats why i was only lookin for those.

i didnt want to do the 2 inch spacer thing for the front x member so thats why i've been digging around the internet for more info. (just trying to gather up my options)

one of my ideas was to have a whole new front cross member made tubular....but....i dont got that kinda skill. i just thought it'd be a good idea, lessen the weight and keep the same suspension geometry.

i think i've only seen one way of doin the tranny mount though.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

There are 2 ways of doing the tranny mount right now.

The 1st is how i did, modifying and bring back the stock 240 mount using thick plate steel and thick retagular steel (i used 1"x2") steel across to mount to the tranny.

The Hinson kit used square tubing straight across to both sides of the frame rails and put circular cut outs where the exhaust could run though. Of course the exhaust pipes inside of these two circles cannot be removed without cutting them out. (and have to be put in the crossmemeber before install)

The 1st way is deffinatly the way to go IMO
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marshun
one of my ideas was to have a whole new front cross member made tubular....but....i dont got that kinda skill. i just thought it'd be a good idea, lessen the weight and keep the same suspension geometry.
I thought about doing the tubular k-memeber at first but honestly I don't think it's worth the work and without knowing how lite you can make it and still keep it strong enough to handle the forces, the stock k-member modified seems to work just fine. Plus, I don't know how much weight you'd save anyway. I'm planning on concentrating the weight savings in other areas (all fiberglass front end, maybe make up fiberglass doors, lexan windows etc...)

Originally Posted by marshun
i think i've only seen one way of doin the tranny mount though.
There's also the way I did it (turned out to be a lot of work) where I cut the stock mounts out of the floor of the car and then used the treaded inserts out of them and then made up new mounts fruther back and used the stock 240 tranny crossmember with a hole drilled in the middle to mount it up. The hardest part of the whole thing is filling in the holes of the stock spot welds I drilled out for that metal burns through like paper with no warning if you give it to much heat. Here's a pic of what I did:

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL828.../181387357.jpg

I've got a thread started in this section titled 'Project 346SX...' if you'd like to check out the other pics.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im diggin the carbon fiber!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Teching In

I see GIGAPUNK is also from the People's Republic of Kalifornia, and I was wonder how easily or if it is even possible to get this swap CARB legal. I have been contemplating about either a FC/FD RX-7(more likely the FC), but I am very intrigued by the 240sx. I know what the requirments are, but I have read a lot about how the 240sx rear-steering gets in the way (depending on motor position) of either stock headers or the catalytic converters. I realize with enough money anything is possible, but for me there comes a point when the law of diminishing returns becomes a real consideration.

I know there are various 240sx build threads out there (I have most of them booked marked) anyone who can comment on this would be great.

Last edited by Made In the USA; 09-21-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Teching In

thanks chin and ted. i've checked out ted's thread and i posted in there too

chin do you have a pic of you tranny mount? i cant picture in my head what you've explained

tomorrow im going to check out some ls1 motors complete with trans. i hope it all works out and i can pick it up
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Teching In

hey anyone know if the original post guy is still making the kits or anytihng? i'm currently ready to drop in my ls1 in to my 92' 240sx. yeah i'm debating on different mounting positions, i'm mainly thinking of welding to the stock cross member to meet up with the engine, and just making a new tranny mount to line up with the stock holes on the chassis and get it bent down and in to meet up with the t56.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Im not one to usually bring a thread back from the dead nor do I usually post a lot, I'm more of a reader..but, I just purchased a '93 240 and plan on dropping an LS? into it so any feedback in the near future will be greatly appreciated. I plan on documenting the install step by step (pictures and all for those who aren't fond of reading a novel). TIA
Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

From what i've gathered on the internet. The main things to get done or consider before starting the swap. Item check list.

my swap is LT1/T56 into a s13

0. research
1. remove everything from the engine bay, if you keep your original wiring harness for lights etc.. unplug it, pull it through the firewall and relocate to inside. pull your power wire through & headlight wires through as needed. keep your original brake booster.
2. motor
3. transmission. clutch/flywheel/clutch slave/clutch master cylinder(unless you think the stock master is good enough)
4. decide on custom oilpan vs. steering rack or whatever & order it
5. figure out the best solution for the headers vs. steering column
6. stock driveshaft,

--
QUESTIONS.
I'm having trouble at the moment finding info on the oilpan. if you know anything about fit ment of the LT1 & its oil/sump whatever hit me up on AIM: PirateDrift
--

Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

What are our options on transmissions? T56 are quite up there on price just curious to know if they make bellhousing adapters, I already have a 300zx TT transmission.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem with the transmission alternatives, is that by the time you are done modifying them to withstand any torque, you may as well have gone with the t56. Plus none of the "alternatives" have a double overdrive. A third problem is that the t56 clutches have a tone more surface area than the alternatives, and your clutch selection will suffer for it. You can find an adapter for most anything though, but imo, it's a waste of time/money. If you're undertaking this swap... prepare to pony up.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input,

From what I gathered so far HSC, Daft, and Sikky are the companies that make kits am I missing any?

I personally need my Project to be a plug n play process as much as possible. So if there is an exact parts list that would be great. If I missed it I'm srry Ive been reading a whole lot and just never saw one.

Thanks,

Freddy
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Silvia - Give us a call or email at your convenience. We'll be happy to put together an estimate for the parts that we recommend. 205-267-6387
Old 10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Default ...

you guys have done some awesome swaps im trying to start doing ls2 swap into 93 coupe if you have any good info on how everything was done would be a big help thanks...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the props. Give us a call or email when you're free. We'll be happy to spend some time with you and discuss the different approaches available for the conversion. We're looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hinson has great stuff. I got my mount kit from pxracing.com and very pleased with it. I have their t56 trans crossmember for sale since I swapped to th350. Hit me up with pm if any questions

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 240sx.....240ss!!!!