Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 LS1 in a third gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 LS1 in a third gen

hey every one, well this is what i got, i have a 5.3 out of a truck and i put it in my 87 trans am. first question is what can i do to get some good power, specifically what cam can i run (was told 212/218-.558/.563-114 comp XE cam... also, get at least a 3000 converter would be good) ( and the LPE LS1-GT2-3 cam specs: 207/220 .571/.578 ) and also how can i tune it, ( btw i am gonna be using corvette manifolds, custom exhaust and an ls6 manifold, and i am gonna use my built up 700r4). and i also need help with wiring and with the vats, thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metalic5
hey every one, well this is what i got, i have a 5.3 out of a truck and i put it in my 87 trans am. first question is what can i do to get some good power, specifically what cam can i run (was told 212/218-.558/.563-114 comp XE cam... also, get at least a 3000 converter would be good) ( and the LPE LS1-GT2-3 cam specs: 207/220 .571/.578 ) and also how can i tune it, ( btw i am gonna be using corvette manifolds, custom exhaust and an ls6 manifold, and i am gonna use my built up 700r4). and i also need help with wiring and with the vats, thanks
I tried fitting a pair of Z06 exhaust manifolds on mine and there was no way they were going to fit, good luck w/ yours.

HPTuners and LS1Edit are the most popular PCM tuning options.

I haven't done any research into 5.3L engines so not much help on good cam options, maybe check the truck forums and see what others are running.

Wiring and VATS options have been covered here if you dig around.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Teching In

thnx, well after today the plans chage a little, you see i got a Turbo from a friend of mine for real cheap so what i'm gonna do is turn the manifold back wards, and make a custom small y pipe with the tyrbo flange placing the turbo infront of the motorand then run a 3.5" exhaust to the back with some muffler not sure which one yet. i got the tubo a giant intercooler BOV and wastegate so now its a serious 5.3 set up that i am going with so if any one has any important information which can be of useful help to me, please let me know. thnx again
Old 02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Will the older 700r4's bolt up to the 5.3's? I didn't think they would.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metalic5
thnx, well after today the plans chage a little, you see i got a Turbo from a friend of mine for real cheap so what i'm gonna do is turn the manifold back wards, and make a custom small y pipe with the tyrbo flange placing the turbo infront of the motorand then run a 3.5" exhaust to the back with some muffler not sure which one yet. i got the tubo a giant intercooler BOV and wastegate so now its a serious 5.3 set up that i am going with so if any one has any important information which can be of useful help to me, please let me know. thnx again
You may want to get your hands on a set of 98-99 fbody manifolds and try this. Reason why is that they are stainless steel, not cast iron like the 00-02 fbody manifolds or the truck manifolds. C5 manifolds are stainless so they may or maynot work but I would tend to think they wouldn't. Reason you would want to use stainless is that stainless is alot better at being modified vs cast iron. You can do this with a set of cast manifolds, but you better have a damn good person welding and a damn good welder. The heat kills the welds because the material expands differently than the welding material, and you are gonna be putting alot of heat at this thing particularly with a turbo. If you want off on the cheap stainless is the way to go. Not many people would be willing to try this with a set of cast manifolds. In the end, manifolds may not work at all and you will have to go with a set of custom headers. Eithor way good luck.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Teching In

thnx, and you're 100% right i never thought about it, thanks for the ideas, i'll be sure to try that, also if any one has any experiance with truck engine swaps, what cani do for the vats? and also if anyone else has any other ideas feel free to let me know thnx,

Last edited by metalic5; 02-16-2005 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LS1 in a third gen