Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch disengagement problem....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default clutch disengagement problem....

im having a disengagement problem with my clutch...

i mean, i can drive it, and i have good pedal feel.....but its at the VERY BOTTOM of the stroke that it grabs and releases. i have a brand new master cyl, and a brand new slave... and im almost 100% positive that theres no air left in there.

so now my only thoughts are..... perhaps im not getting enough pedal travel? i have LT1 pedals in my camaro... perhaps the piviot point of the LS1 pedals is lower on the pedal, giving more stroke?

what pedals are you using? ideas?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
im having a disengagement problem with my clutch...

i mean, i can drive it, and i have good pedal feel.....but its at the VERY BOTTOM of the stroke that it grabs and releases. i have a brand new master cyl, and a brand new slave... and im almost 100% positive that theres no air left in there.

so now my only thoughts are..... perhaps im not getting enough pedal travel? i have LT1 pedals in my camaro... perhaps the piviot point of the LS1 pedals is lower on the pedal, giving more stroke?

what pedals are you using? ideas?
Hmm...I'm using LT1 pedals and mine was at the bottom of the travel for disengagement also. I bled it 3x and even used the MityVac trick, just wrote it off to used-up factory hydraulics.

I solved it by installing a McLeod adjustable master cyl. Lots of $$ but I like being able to put the pedal height right smack where I want it for road course use.

It's entirely possible that the LT1 pedals don't put the master rod at the same distance from the pivot as LS1 car pedals I suppose.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my RX7 swap I used a Wilwood master with a 3/4 inch bore. What you need is a master with a larger bore - more volumn.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During installation of mine, we compared the travel to an existing Camaro and found the factory travel to be only about an inch. Haven't tested it it though...
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
During installation of mine, we compared the travel to an existing Camaro and found the factory travel to be only about an inch. Haven't tested it it though...
could you elaborate more?

the distance the factory master cyl rod travels into the bore is only 1"??
Old 04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
could you elaborate more?

the distance the factory master cyl rod travels into the bore is only 1"??
Yes, that's what it looks like. When the clutch is depressed, the rod only appeared to move 1" into the slave cylinder and that was pushing it all the way down as far as it would go. In actuality, driving the car, the pedal only needs to go down about a quarter of the way to engage the clutch enough to change gears so I imagine that the plunger is very sensitive. Very little movement of that plunger is required to make a shift (on a low mileage vehicle, which is what we ere using).
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

mmk.

well i have some other problem then, because its getting more movement then that before it moves the clutch.

Quick Reply: clutch disengagement problem....