Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you make an LT1 IROC-Z??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you make an LT1 IROC-Z??

Well I know this is an LS1 site... but i figured if anyone has had experience putting in one of those into an f-body and LT1 should be that different... I have a 1986 Camaro 4bbl 305, 5sp manual tranny and wat I'm looking to do is swap my engine w/ my friends LT1 out of his camaro. His camaro is sic fast and i think mine will be pretty crazy with that type of engine!haha. I'm just looking for some tips, and problems that I may run into while doing this cross over. If anyone out there has performed this type of operation on their own car, or someone elses I was curious of different things that I may need to change in order for my camaro to except an LT1. Like will i have to make any changes to motor mounts? will my T-5 5spd transmission be able to handle an LT1, or should i look into purchasing a T-56 6spd. Also i was curious if i will have to change my rear end and gearing. If anyone knows anything about setting up the computer/wiring harness that would be a lot of help also because my engine does not have a wiring harness and such, but i do believe the carb. is computer controlled? whether that matters or not. Well like i said before any help and tips that yinz can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

-Ben
Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will most likely get better answers to your questions over on thirdgen.org, but I will try to answer a couple questions that i know. The rear end componants and gearing can be used if you want, but for best results you would be better off upgrading. I had 2.73 gear non-posi rear end in my car and would have been very dissapointed if I woulda had an ls1 powered thirdgen doing a one tire fire. I couldnt afford a 12 bolt/9 inch so I upgraded to an ls1 10 bolt with 3.42 gears and posi (which works but is two inches wider on each side making the stock wheels stick out). I know the T-5's arnt the stongest transmissions, and you would probably be better off upgrading to a T-56, but Im no expert on that. Like I said your best bet for the LT1 stuff is over on thirdgen.org, but im sure some people on here can chime in.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Teching In

haha, one tire fire.... well my car already has posi, but in not sure of the gearing.... ill prob wanna upgrade it anywase, my friends told me 4:10s are good to go with but ill have to look into it more. But thanks for your input!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have a LS1 Iroc being built up north from you in Butler. Well I am from Butler but the car is at my friends shop in Oil City. Maybe we can meet up when the cars are done.

You will need a stronger tranny than what you have. The t-5 you have is not even a World Class (The stonger t-5) I have alot of parts on my iroc that will be up for sale including a posi rear with stock 3.42 gears.

I would also recommend thirdgen.org for more info.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Teching In

YsoFast.... ya dude that would be sweet, i would love to check out the car when its finished. Do you go to the flashlight drags??? me and my friends go up there all the time so if u ever hit that up we can meet up and I'll check out that sick ls1 ur friends puttin together haha. Well drop me an IM sometime ( biohazard823 )
Old 04-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get the T56 plus here's a few other points to ponder: You'll need a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) to mechanical speedometer adapter as your car is cable driven (mechanical ) . You will only need this if you swap in the T56. The T-5 wasn't stout enough by GM 's standards for them to put it behind a TPI engine so it wouldn't live long behind an LT1. You'll have to have the engine harness plus the LT1 ECU , fuel pump and all sensors on the engine and induction.Now to the good news: The LT1 is still quite similar to the engine in your car in terms of bolting in so that part is easy. If you get a T56 , you'll also need to buy a rear crossmember from Spohn or one the dealers who sell Spohn products.Also snag the driveshaft out of the donor car because your stock one won't work.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

Definately find awhole lot more info over at thirdgen.org. I did this swap 2 years ago in my '89 RS and used TGO for my reference. If I were you I'd upgrade to the T-56... My T5 didn't last but 2 months with the LT1.

Quick Reply: How do you make an LT1 IROC-Z??