Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS or ZZ383

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS or ZZ383

hello im new here but not new to fast cars..
im in the planning stage of my buildup, its a 80 camaro. im going to be useing it as my demo car so i want it looking/running awesome. this is what i came up with. ZZ383 w/ACCEL DFI GEN7 fuel inejtion and a 6speen tranny. also beef up the rearend w/a 4link.

ok let me get to my qwestions.....1st: which would you choose the LS1/LS2 or ZZ383. 2nd: how hard would it be to swap a LS engine into a older car. 3rd: would i gain anything by the LS.

thats all for now im sure ill have more qwestions later. remember im new here so take it easy on me....

or do you guys know a forum that might help me with this...

im trying to see if the LS would be a better choice. the weight isnt an issue the car will have a fiberglass front in. the ZZ383 has 450hp and the price is around $5000.00 for a longblock. what kind of price im looking at for a LS1/LS2 engine.

thanks again
jamie
Old 05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Welcome to the site Jamie,

Yeah, there are definitely differences between the two and pros and cons with either engine. Personally I would go for an ls series motor hands down. The truck series like 6.0 or 5.3 are easy to come by, cheap, and are very good motors, especially for power adders. Most of the guys here that are running 8s and 9s are running truck blocks so they are pretty good motors. The ls1/ls6 are also extremely good motors, they make good power stock and respond very well to modifications of any sort. They are a little more expensive than the truck motors but they are well worth it. The ls2 is awesome, its alot like the ls1 but has minor changes in the block design and things of that nature, because its a gen IV motor instead of a gen III motor. This motor is very similar to the ls1 in that they make awesome power straight from the factory, they make good power with mods, and they even get decent gas mileage. But then again, the ls2 just came out and if you want one, be prepared to pay a premium. In your position if it were my choice, I would go for an ls1/6 speed from an f-body and some bolt on mods. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,
Remington
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XTRMEASURES
hello im new here but not new to fast cars..
im in the planning stage of my buildup, its a 80 camaro. im going to be useing it as my demo car so i want it looking/running awesome. this is what i came up with. ZZ383 w/ACCEL DFI GEN7 fuel inejtion and a 6speen tranny. also beef up the rearend w/a 4link.

ok let me get to my qwestions.....1st: which would you choose the LS1/LS2 or ZZ383. 2nd: how hard would it be to swap a LS engine into a older car. 3rd: would i gain anything by the LS.

thats all for now im sure ill have more qwestions later. remember im new here so take it easy on me....

or do you guys know a forum that might help me with this...

im trying to see if the LS would be a better choice. the weight isnt an issue the car will have a fiberglass front in. the ZZ383 has 450hp and the price is around $5000.00 for a longblock. what kind of price im looking at for a LS1/LS2 engine.

thanks again
jamie
I've got an LS1 out of my '01 with Lingenfelter work done to it that I'm looking to sell (currently on Ebay) for less $$$ than what the 383 you mentioned with more ponies - it looks pretty good too . Drop me an email or PM...maybe we can work something out.

PS - welcome aboard!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Teching In

I would also think that if you're using the car as a DEMO, then the LS1 conversion would have more "impact"

Anybody can build a 383, right?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Anybody can build a 383, right?
well anybody can build a ls1 aswell. but he said that he would have a fuel injected 383 and you dont see very many of those! i am gonna say go for the 383, but honestly if you are gonna do something like that, why not go all out and put a 572 bb in there? or if you really have the money get the new ls7 and call it the day. that would definatly be something to drool over at a demo!
Old 05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LPE SS
I've got an LS1 out of my '01 with Lingenfelter work done to it that I'm looking to sell (currently on Ebay) for less $$$ than what the 383 you mentioned with more ponies - it looks pretty good too . Drop me an email or PM...maybe we can work something out.

PS - welcome aboard!
thanks for the offer, but im not ready to buy yet. im just trying to get an idea of the opptions i have.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
well anybody can build a ls1 aswell. but he said that he would have a fuel injected 383 and you dont see very many of those! i am gonna say go for the 383, but honestly if you are gonna do something like that, why not go all out and put a 572 bb in there? or if you really have the money get the new ls7 and call it the day. that would definatly be something to drool over at a demo!
yes an engine is an engine, just have to know what parts work best with each other. and yes again i havent seen to many 383 fuel injected engines.hehe

i wish i could get a 572bb but i dont want to spend that kind of money on just the engine, i still have lots to do with the rest of the car.....

thanks for the reply guys
jamie
Old 05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Teching In

If you decide to go EFI on either engine (383 or LS1), and that makes sense in today's world (we are getting spoiled by EFI), then the LS1 is the obvious choice. It has an astoundingly good factory EFI setup (LS6 intake can support an assload of power, and LSX can cover an assload +100hp) and there is a ton of support for wiring harnesses, EFI programming, and all the EFI and accessory peripherals you will need.

LSX engines also make damn good power in stock and modified form, and there are a LOT of them out there in the salvage (F-body and Trucks and to a smaller extent Corvettes) and aftermarket world (SD, GMPP, MTI, etc). My LS2 made 355 rwhp stone stock (http://www.vorshlag.com/fair/c6dynorun_HPandTQ.jpg ), which is about what an LS6 makes. They also respond WELL to cams, head porting, headers, etc. 500 rwhp can be surprisingly streetable.

Quick Reply: LS or ZZ383