Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 in a Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 in a Cobra

I'm building a Cobra replica (Factory Five Racing). Since I'm a die hard Chevy guy I'm putting a LT1 into it . You ought to hear the Ford guys cry foul! I bought an LT1 out of a 96 Camaro. Being an old carb guy I have a couple of questions. I would like to get 350 to 400 HP out of the engine. The Cobra will weigh 2100 lbs and have a T56 tranny, 3.55 or 3.73 gears, and 4into4 side pipes. I do not need any emissions equip. I have noticed the GMPP LT1 to LT4 w/hot cam conversion kit. It states "a proven 425+hp". That seems a little high with just these parts changed. Is that figure correct? What else is needed besides a computer reprogram for this conversion? Is there another option that is better? I will use the stock LT1 to to get started. What changes need to be made to the PCM and engine to make this work in a stand alone manner?
Thanks for the help,
Scott
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LT4 kit will put down around 360 to the wheels, but you can hit that number cheaper with a slew of bolt-ons and a Lloyd Elliot package (http://www.eportworks.com/Products.htm)

People have been getting VERY good results with LE ported heads and cam packages. 370-390 rwhp and good streetability is not uncommon. An LE1 should suit your needs, go with an LE2 if you're really craving the power.

As for the PCM work, you can have the car dyno-tuned by a shop or just get a mail order tune. I wouldn't use the mail-order tune as much more than a hold-over, a dyno tune will get you the best results. Where are you from? Lloyd also recommends a new injector, I think a 36 lb/hr injector. Not sure about the pump.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Teching In

I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. After reading a few posts I have noticed several people recommend Elliotts. The LE1 package does look pretty nice. These cars are so light a little power goes a long way. 225 Flywheel HP will make 13s

Last edited by LTCobra; 05-12-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LTCobra
I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. After reading a few posts I have noticed several people recommend Elliotts. The LE1 package does look pretty nice. These cars are so light a little power goes a long way. 225 Flywheel HP will make 13s
There are definitely some shops around Portland, but I'm not familiar with them being an east coast bum.

The LE packages are becoming VERY popular in the LT1 world. Lloyd Elliot is a classy guy, customers love him, the kits are cheap, and they produce.

True that... Cobras are very nice, love the idea of dropping an LT1 into one of them. Got any pictures of the car?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Teching In

No pictures yet, car will be delivered next Thursday. Pick up LT1 this Sat. Then I order new T56 from Keisler.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

theres a guy near me that has a blown LT1 in a F5 cobra. its built for the blower to so were talking around 600 hp at the wheels. moster motor for such a small car.

your goals are easily achieved with nothing more than heads and a cam. headers are needed too.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

oh and theres another guy with a buick 3.8 stage 2 motor running NA in a cobra replica. very light weight compared to a big block and makes awsome power for a NA 3.8 6 banger

Quick Reply: LT1 in a Cobra