Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual exaust in California

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ducaT
Here's the list of CARB Exemption orders for exhaust products.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...rmktdevice.php

As you'll see, they include 0/ZERO orders for mufflers.
Certainly, some of the largest exhaust manufacturers are listed, so they have the resources to submit for CARB EO, but they convienietly omitted to submit their mufflers.
An EO is not required because they are not part of the emission control system of any vehicle since 1974 when emission requirements were tightened.

You can dunk a horse's head under water, but you just can't make him drink.
I am done....go dunk yourself under water. Trying to have an adult conversation with you is like arguing with a brick wall, ya get no where, ever.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

You've been refuted at every turn. So far the only evidence you've submitted is "because I've seen it".

I don't dispute the experience, but I don't think it's as influential as the hard data.

1. We know the police have been writing errant tickets. They've been proven wrong in 90% of the instances tested.

2. CARB and Federal EPA guidelines apply only to those motor vehicle parts which affect pollution control. Otherwise you wouldn't even be able to change the shift **** in the car because it's one of the parts included in the certification. [sarcasm off]

I've made no assumptions about you or who you are, seemingly, you feel free to determine all kinds of things about me.

I refuse to roll around in the mud with you.

There is a totally bitchin' dual exhaust system on my 83 el camino with a California BAR certification placard on it. Maybe you'd like to come check it out sometime.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Teching In

O.K. Thanks for all the information it has been fun at least what this grow and take on a life of it's own! But to settle it Rottluver is right in the sense of the law spoke with the smog referee yesterday and it is illgeal to have duals in the state of cali if your car does not come with them orginally. Now I fell like Ducat I want dual exhaust and If I find someone to do them for me after the car goes to the referee I will change my oem setup!!!! Even If I have to go to Texas to go do it!!!!

Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ducaT
You've been refuted at every turn. So far the only evidence you've submitted is "because I've seen it".

I don't dispute the experience, but I don't think it's as influential as the hard data.

1. We know the police have been writing errant tickets. They've been proven wrong in 90% of the instances tested.

2. CARB and Federal EPA guidelines apply only to those motor vehicle parts which affect pollution control. Otherwise you wouldn't even be able to change the shift **** in the car because it's one of the parts included in the certification. [sarcasm off]

I've made no assumptions about you or who you are, seemingly, you feel free to determine all kinds of things about me.

I refuse to roll around in the mud with you.

There is a totally bitchin' dual exhaust system on my 83 el camino with a California BAR certification placard on it. Maybe you'd like to come check it out sometime.
Why are you drawing this out over & over........? I made a statement about your feelings based on what you wrote, that is all. it meant nothing and was not meant to be anything other then an observation based on what you had written previously. I don't care where you live, what States you do & don't like or much of anything. This is a message board where ideas and info can be passed along. I have not been refuted other then you continually saying you are right and I am not.....if that makes you feel better, then good. I am happy for ya.

And what the f*** does a shifter **** have to do with EXHAUST??? That is what we were discussing. You are now taking each post and diving further and further away from the original topic to try to prove a point............will it make you feel better if I tell you that you are right and no one else is?

As far as any "evidence I have submitted"..........10 years of on the job work, including spending time going over these issues with District Attys, Judges and the like. What I have "seen" is ACTUAL live and in person court cases & events as they have unfolded in the context of laws being enforced........and as for Police writing "errant tickets & being proven wrong in 90% of the instances tested", I covered that.......you mention a website that may or may not have factual 100% correct info, while I on the other hand, have 10 years worth of real life street experience dealing with these very issues on a daily basis. Call me when you have ANY legal or law enforcement background or you can actually cite a case that refutes the CALIFORNIA statutes we were discussing.

Let's just agree to disagree because as I said before, I am tired of this back & forth with you, it is pointless. And I could not care less about a set of duals on an 83 El Co period. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I have no interest in you, your car/s or "checking it out" as that would be fruitless and i am still perplexed why you seem so adamant to try to prove me wrong. But it is all good. I don't need to argue or a pointless topic that keeps getting stretched far beyond it's original intent every day by you in your quest to make a point.

You win, you ar right about everything in the world and I know nothing and am completely wrong about everything I have ever said. Now doesn't that make you feel so much better?
Originally Posted by 6.0 mcss
O.K. Thanks for all the information it has been fun at least what this grow and take on a life of it's own! But to settle it Rottluver is right in the sense of the law spoke with the smog referee yesterday and it is illgeal to have duals in the state of cali if your car does not come with them orginally. Now I fell like Ducat I want dual exhaust and If I find someone to do them for me after the car goes to the referee I will change my oem setup!!!! Even If I have to go to Texas to go do it!!!!

Thanks
That sounds like the way to go dude. Although, I had duals put on my TA last year (I am no longer residing in Cali so it is not an issue here) but to be 100% honest, I almost wish I had just picked a better catback. While they do give "some" more output, unless I stroke this motor, juice it or blow it, it really won't reach the full effect of its potential on a mostly stock "bolt-on" LS1. Plus it is SOOOOOOO low and scrapes like a ***** too. Although I had the complete setup done....LT's, dual 3" cats, 3" x-pipe and 18" bullet mufflers over the axle and exiting at the rear..............my car (exhaust) is so low that if you roll a tennis ball underneath it, it gets stuck. If you go with the TSP (or similar) duals, then you get no cats and better clearance but you have to deal with the smell & sound of dumped exhaust and no cats, which I didn't want.

Good luck with whatever you choose and just remember that you have to get that thing inspected visualy & smogged every 2 years in The People's Republic Of Commiefornia.

Quick Reply: Dual exaust in California