Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering as unique vehicle in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Registering as unique vehicle in NY?

Maybe I should've posted this in a regional section but I thought I'd ask here first since you guys definitely have experience with conversions. Does anyone here have experience registering their vehicle in New York as a unique vehicle?

Here is the link for some info

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/homemade.htm

Can anyone here provide input on the costs and length of time it took to go through this? How much more resistance would I get if the project car started it's life as a 1996+ OBDII car?

TIA!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are out of luck trying to get away with changing a OBD II car in NY. With the "new" inspection situation, if, when the NYS registration computer is hooked up to the ADL your car will fail, and Albany won't let you get it inspected. (the new inspection law is a pain in the a**) You can only get away with pre 1976 cars for "conversion" now. If any code is set or the SES light (check engine light) is set your car will not pass! (However.... there are probably a few people out there who might be able to fool the system; I'd be interested to know!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Purdy
I think you are out of luck trying to get away with changing a OBD II car in NY. With the "new" inspection situation, if, when the NYS registration computer is hooked up to the ADL your car will fail, and Albany won't let you get it inspected. (the new inspection law is a pain in the a**) You can only get away with pre 1976 cars for "conversion" now. If any code is set or the SES light (check engine light) is set your car will not pass! (However.... there are probably a few people out there who might be able to fool the system; I'd be interested to know!

simple.

turn off the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) for any that will trip.

anyone with real tuning software can do it (Hptuners, LS1 edit, EFIlive, ect)
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scott Purdy

Yeah, it sucks. My car failed in May because I had reset a CEL too soon before bringing it in for inspection...I passed safety but failed emissions because it read "System not ready."

Then my supercharger ate a bearing and needed to be sent out for a rebuild. Got it back, re-intalled, had some trouble with vacuum leaks, fixed that, now have another problem that leaves the CEL lit up.....blah! I was hoping that if I had a BMW Z3 chasis, BMW M Roadster body panels, and Chevy engine/drivetrain, I might be able to register my vehicle as a unique/homemade vehicle....
Old 09-14-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

I don't understand the problem. So you have a ls1 Z3 correct?
What is it that won't allow you to pass inspection? The fact that you have an LS1 in a BMW? I thought that if you do an engine swap the engine has to pass the test according to the standards for that engine or the one it replaced whichever is more stringent.

I'm in NY and had no problem with my 1977 in fact I had no emissions test required, only safety. I also had a 1982 BMW 320 with a 1991 E34 M30 motor and had no problems with emissions testing. The original motor in the 320 was a 1.8 liter four and the motor I put in was a 3.5 liter six.

I don't think the unique vehicle test is that bad. I talked to the people in albany about another project. They just indicated to me that when I was ready just have all data on costs and parts I used, bills of sale etc and give them a call. They will send an inspector down to take a look and go over everything and that's it.

Last edited by redmist; 09-14-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redmist
I don't understand the problem. So you have a ls1 Z3 correct?
What is it that won't allow you to pass inspection? The fact that you have an LS1 in a BMW? I thought that if you do an engine swap the engine has to pass the test according to the standards for that engine or the one it replaced whichever is more stringent.

No, right now I have BMW M44 in there w/ a supercharger, the LS1 is not in my hands right now.....I'm just doing some research and lining up buyers for my existing mods.

The issue is that unique/homemade vehicles need a safety inspection in NY but not the latest emissions requirements. The engine would be a 1998-02 motor which would to pass these tests in their original cars....would that mean that my conversion would also need to pass these tests or is there a way to bypass it?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Got me there on the Unique car emissions tests. I would just write Albany a letter to get clarification. Having something in writing before you start is probably a good idea.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redmist.... With your '91 motor, it probably is cleaner than the previous motor, and passes. In NY if the car is newer than 1976, it must pass emissions for the year of the vehicle. If your car is an 1977 then it must pass emissions for a 1977 ( which isn't very stringent) ;if it's a 1998, then it would have to pass for that years emissions,..and be hooked up by ALDL to Albany direct!!! and everything must pass as it was from the factory, that's why everyone in NY who wants to Hot Rod usually looks for a pre 1976. It's getting to be a real pain in the a**
Old 09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redmist
Got me there on the Unique car emissions tests. I would just write Albany a letter to get clarification. Having something in writing before you start is probably a good idea.

Just did some poking around on the NYS DMV site and found this under exemptions

http://www.nysdmv.com/vehsafe.htm#einspect

"What motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles?

These motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection for gas-powered vehicles:

Vehicles that are less than two model years old, or more than 25 model years old (for example, a 1975 model in 2001).
Diesel-powered vehicles 8500 lbs. or less and Diesel-powered vehicles 8501 lbs. and more registered in the NYCMA area that are required to have the emissions inspection for diesel-powered vehicles.
Electric-powered vehicles.
Motorcycles.
Vehicles that are registered as farm equipment or that have historical plates
Homemade vehicles or custom vehicles that are registered in the Upstate Area.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

I only needed a safety inspection in Rockland County under the "Historic" (I have historic plates) 25 years and older rule.

Quick Reply: Registering as unique vehicle in NY?