Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C and Buffer Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Buffer Box

88 GTA removed L98 TPI, installing 98 LS1.

Sold the L98 and have pulled portion of wiring harness (injectors, engine sensors, ECM) for new owner. Do I need to keep the yellow box (VSS Buffer I think) for use with new engine?

On the A/C I bought a used compressor, acumulator, lines, etc, I think it was off a 2000, my parts manual shows 98-02 as all the same anyway. My question, should I keep/use the original accumulator and get a new hose made to run from acumulator to compressor or use the new accumulator and get a hose made to run to the airbox? I assume either would work but better to ask than assume and be wrong.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

You can either tie the original wires yellow and purple that run to the vss buffer into the vss sensor on the new transmission and keep everything intact. You will have to hardwire this since when you pull the stock tpi harness out these wires will come out with it. Or I would disgard the vss buffer and tie the vss output from the ls1 pcm into the speedo wire at the location of the old buffer. It will be a green/white out of the pcm. Then you can calibrate for gears and tire sizes using a stock pcm and programming methods as opposed to changint the DRAC module everytime you tinker with tires or gears.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I would cut the stock hose where the rubber and the aluminum fitting join then take the suction discharge hose assembly to a shop that can make you a correct one piece line and go ahead and replace the dryer and the orifice tube while your at it. My next suggestion would be to upgrade to a condensor from a 94-02 chevy s-10 as opposed to the stock one in your car. It is a much higher efficiency condensor and will deliver cooling performance identical to that of the newer cars. It is pretty close to the same dimensions as your stock one. Then you can have a line made to run from the lower fitting on the condensor to the evaporator inlet tube. Nex option would be to run radiator fans and condensor from a fourth gen in your car and figure out a way to mount the radiator since it is a complete module in these cars that would save you from having to custom build radiator and a/c mounting methods.

Quick Reply: A/C and Buffer Box