Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 conversion-> Programming and Harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 conversion-> Programming and Harness

I am just a little confused from all the different reading I've done.

I want to put an LS1 in a 56 Chevy Convertible. I want it to be a clean installation, i.e. showable.

If I purchase a pullout engine, shall I assume I will want an aftermarket harness, or should I plan on being able to use the one that comes with the engine? I've read about mods to make to the harness yourself, but not sure what that will all look like.

On the programming: I have a laptop, and am computer literate. I lean toward thinking that I will want to get something like HP Tuners (is that right...going by memory now)...to do PCM programming. What I'm not sure about is will I be able to use that to do things such as delete the emissions stuff, etc.? I see services wanting around $300 do do that for you. But, I can buy the software for less than that, and then be able to do my own tuning ongoing. The reading I've done has mostly talked about doing the tuning, and has not referenced the mods needed for a conversion.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure if you do enough surfing on this site you could figure out what is needed to modify the harness and PCM to run stand-alone.

I went with John at www.speartech.com for modifying my stock harness and PCM to run stand alone. He is very knowledgeable and his prices are pretty good. From there you can fine tune your PCM for mods etc in the future.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends on what you want to do and are willing to do.

1. You can take the stock harness and determine what wiring to elliminate. Now if you are patient you can rewrap the harness and make it look great.

2. Then you can purchase a tuning program like LS1Edit, HPTuners, or EFILIVE and delete un-needed stuff plus learn how to tune the motor later.

Another approach is to:
1. Purchase a harness or have your harness reworked by a professional; such as SpearTech or another comperable company. I purchased from SpearTech and I am very pleased with its look and operations.

2. You can also have the same harness company reprogram your computer to match the harness or find someone who is knowledgeable to do the job correctly. I had SpearTech set the computer properly for the harness.

3. You can still purchase a tuner program for you use later for tuning. I plan on a purchase for future tuning but right now I just want to get it running.

You need to determine which route is right for you. If you do everything yourself you will increase your knowledge on your application and can add mods and fix anything that goes wrong in the future. On the other hand why re-invent the wheel when you can purchase off the shelf a turn key solution and there are resonable deals out there.

I purchased the engine, trany, harness, and computer from SpearTech and it was all set up to install and fire up. Had I removed everything from a donor car I would have approached it differently. I think I would have reworked the harness myself and programmed the computer to delete the appropriate items since I want the tuner program myself anyway.

Going with what is cheaper is not always the best solution because your time is worth something. It might be cheaper and timely to purchase a harness already reworked or a new harness fabricated for your application so all you have to do is plug it up. Think about it and I am sure you will discover the right approach for your situation, budget, and skillset.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.

This is a care that will not be drivern during the winter, so I am thinking of a winter project.

From what I read in the replies, it is feasible to do all programming myself, with teh HP Tuners program, and delete the stuff from the harness. If, of course, I feel like messing with it. I was concerned that I would start down a path expecting I could do all that, and find I have to purchase the stuff anyway.

My tendencey is to do it myself. I learn more, and can do my own mods in the future, if necessary. Plus it's cheaper.

I will be evaluating purchase of the stuff from a vendor (naturally, I will evaluate the sponsors of this site.)

Thanks for the replies. It is helpful.