Sponsored by:

2004 LS1 Alternator Q (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 LS1 Alternator Q (pic)

Hi guys,
I just installed a 2004 LS1 out of a Lumina into a 81vette. Are there only two connections on the alt? Am I missing any parts? I wired the insulated connection to the battery+ and the other to the (-) but there was no charging. Any Ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails 2004 LS1 Alternator Q (pic)-alt-01.jpg  
Old 10-28-2005, 01:01 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The big stud on the back of the alt should go to the + battery. The alternator grounds because it has a metal case and the engine block is metal and grounded. There should be a weatherpack connection on the outside of the alternator, I think it is only one wire and goes to the computer? I don`t remember exactly, I will have to look at mine.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of a Lumina...LOL..what part of the world are you in? Definitely no US Luminas had anything remotely cool in them.

G-Body is right, big post on the back to the battery +, and one wire from the connector to the computer. Would have gone to the GEN light on the dash in an old car. I think it's the "L" terminal.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:47 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked a couple of wiring diagrams and heres what I found. Some models seem to use two wire in the weatherpack, a grey and brown. The diagram that I have for a 1999-2001 truck motor uses the brown wire going to red connector pin 15 on the computer, and 2000 only motors also use a grey going to pin 52 on the red connector. The diagram for a 99 camaro shows the wire from the weatherpack connector being red and it goes to red connector pin 15. The bottom line is that the alternator connects to the computer, I cannot gurantee where though since I do not have a wiring diagram for a 2004 lumina. It probably goes to red pin 15 but you should try looking it up on a wiring diagram for a 2004 or ask whoever is going to tune your computer.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response,
The harness that I have is home made and its bare minimum (no alternator connection) and it works great! I was wondering if any one knew a hard wire scheme to force the alt to charge.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Chris442
Out of a Lumina...LOL..what part of the world are you in?.
Luminas in the Middle East have LS1's in'em, and their kick ***.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:19 AM
Teching In

I got it! For those interested.
On the alternator there is a plug with two wires one yellow and the other brown. The yellow goes to the + batt and the brown goes to the + ignition through a light bulb. That’s it

Quick Reply: 2004 LS1 Alternator Q (pic)