Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

59 apache suburban LS1 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 59 apache suburban LS1 question

Iv'e been wanting to lose the 235 I6 for some time now. The LS1 seems like the best choice (5.3). The engine and tranny will cost around 2K (33,00 miles). What will it cost on top of this (ballpark). I'm clipping the truck with a 74 camaro subframe. I'm a bit confused and wondering if I should just go with a carbuerated 5.7. I really love the 5.3 and it's efficiency- gas mileage. I'm planning on driving the snot out of this truck.
Wiring Harness?
Fuel tank?
Will the AC compressor/alt fit?
Thanks for the input
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the budget quote again... Take your budget, add a grand then double it, and have some extra cash for lee way. hahaha

-Matt
Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan to drive the snot out of the truck I would definitely go with the 5.3 instead of the conventional 350. You will get better fuel economy and at least equal performance. I have a stock 5.3 in my 2001 Silverado and I love it. If you go the other route you will pop the hood and see just another belly button 350 like everyone else has. The 5.3 will require extra work without a doubt, but in my opinion will be worth it. For costs, be sure to get the wire harness, ecu and whatever else you can from the donor vehicle, including the radiator, fuel tank with pump and fuel lines. If you can mount the donor fuel tank and pump in your Suburban that will solve one of the major challenges of these swaps. Same is true of the radiator if you can get it to fit and also use the belt driven fan from the truck.

Going rate for modifying wire harnesses is $450 + -, ECU reprogram $250-300. You can find some who will do it for less, but be careful to get someone with excellent references and will be there to assist you if you have questions or run into problems. I am using Speartech for my swap and John has been so very helpful, even in the planning stages. For mounts, you have lots of options since you are going from the I-6 to V-8. You may be able to adapt the donor mounts, use Corvette tower type mounts or if you can get SBC frame mounts for your Suburban you can use the S&P or BRP adapter plates. With the Camaro stub you should be able to use the adapter plates, you can find steeel versions on EBay for about $40. Check the Conversion FAQ for mount info. If you are not able to use a donor tank and pump, in-line Walbro pumps cost 120-150 or you can get an in-tank pump from Tanks, Inc (http://www.tanksinc.com) for about $200. They also have universal tanks that might work for you. Those are in the $200 range also. Then you have exhaust, and that costs what it costs. Hard for me to estimate that. My opinion is the more stuff you can use from the donor vehicle, the less it will cost and the easier it will be because it is already designed to work together. I am sure I have not addressed everything, hopefully others will chime in. As LS1_Chevelle said, it's gonna cost more than you planned, it will probably take longer too! Read everything you can, really study this site and the FAQs her, look for other swaps, take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions.

Good luck

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 11-03-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Pat. I really want to do this. Until I can get my torqeless wonder rotary rebuilt I can't do anything but drive the truck (which is fun even with the old engine).
I will be looking around Nashville for a slavage dealer that will supply me all the parts as a package.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

The process has begun. I started cutting the donor frame today.

Quick Reply: 59 apache suburban LS1 question