Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 1969 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 into 1969 Vette

I have a 1969 t top corvette and i want to drop a ls1 into it the car was going to be my little brothers but he got into a jet skiing accident and so it's now going to be built in his honor since he won't be able to drive at this point so are there motor mounts available and any in depth articles to help i do have an ls1 myself I own a 2002 chevy 1500.

Thanks in advance

marc
Old 01-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS1 into 1969 Vette

Hi there
There are no motor mounts available, however, you can make yourself adapters to go between the original vette mounts and the LS1 block. I think I have a template laying around somewhere. Are you using a manual or automatic? What did the car originally have? Check out this site for some useful info.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/ls1.shtml

Let me know how I can help.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah i'm doing basically what you are doing with an ls1 and t56 six speed i usually like automatics but i just want this to be a fun reliable car versus what it is now i bought the vette for myself with the 350 and th350 transmission it is no where near original so i dont mind modifying it any more. i would like those templates if you have them

thanks

marc
Old 01-14-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

so what all did you change from stock to make this work like how did keep speedometer and such plus what did you do about the wiring harness

marc
Old 01-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiring harness is the one from the 99 Camaro donor car. I picked up a fuse block from painless and wired it to supply power to the computer, fans, fuel pump and VATS module.

You will also need to either fabricate a new trans crossmember or weld on a mount to the existing one. The templates I will give you move the engine and transmission forward about 2". This lines up the shifter front to back. To get it to line up side to side, I cut the top off of the T56 shifter and the bottom off the old muncie shifter, threw in a spacer and welded them together.

The electric fans came from an LT1 camaro and were wired to the computer using 3 relays. The VATS module is small enough to be concealed in the ashtray for easy removal. You can either buy one or I can give you the schematic to make one. I am using F-body exhaust manifolds for now. I am eventually going to build a set of side exhaust headers, but for now the manifolds will have to do. FYI the passenger corvette manifold will not work.

The air intake is of the C5 variety with the air bridge going over the radiator and a big K&N filter sitting behind the center grille. The top of the radiator support was cut out and lowered about 3.5" or so to get the clearance for the air bridge.

You are going to have to find the pedal assembly from a manual car. After that the clutch hookup is relatively easy. The master cylinder will mount to the firewall and the linkage will hook up to the pedal in the factory location. The waterneck will have to be cut and welded so it points straight out, or you could pick up a rotatable one from street and performance. The upper hose is stock 99 Camaro and the lower is one of those flex ones.

The hardest part was the wiring. I just picked up a helms manual for the 99 Camaro and looked over the schematics to see what I needed and what I did not.

If you need any help, let me know.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 1969 Vette