Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 wiring in 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 wiring in 1st Gen

I am planning a LS1 swap in my 68 and have a question as it relates to wiring. I plan on having the original harness reworked, when it comes to wiring the motor to the car, will the reworked harness wire directly into the original fuse panel.

Would I be better to scrap the original wiring system and rewire with something like American Autowire update kit? The current wiring system is giving no problems, but just wondering if it would be beneficial to update the 37 year old system.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

alot of wires need to be switched around and alot of wires need to be deleted. you really have to rework the harness

this helped me : http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/2LS18.html
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get an engine harness redone or made by one of the LS1Tech sponsors who do that sort of thing, you will only have about 5 wires to connect to the car itself. No need to rewire the rest of the car unless you feel the need to do so. I had Speartech build a custom harness for me. It looks great, I'm looking forward to getting it installed as my project progresses. Even if you modify your own harness, there are not a lot of connections to make to the car itself, should be the same 5 wires.

Pat
Old 11-18-2005, 07:53 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

There is very limited factory engine wiring to begin with. There are maybe 4-5 wires that connect from the factory 68 harness to something like a SBC. The ones I know of out of that harness would be oil-pressure, coolant temp, points resistor wire, tach, and starter. If re-using the factory guages/lights, you can reuse everything except the points wire. If not the only thing required to reuse would be the starter wire.

The stand alone harnesses only require a battery positive wire and an ignition power wire, it doesn't need to integrated into the factory wiring though.

Quick Reply: LS1 wiring in 1st Gen