Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating new Project - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Contemplating new Project - Need Advice

I may have an opportunity to pick up an '53 Chevy pickup for my next ls1 project. Was wondering if some of you guys could give me advice as to what to look for in the donor (comon rust area's, tell-tell signs of molestation, etc...). As well if you could point me to some of your project webpages so I can get a better feel of what's involved.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since that is kind of a street rod question you might ask it over here as well:

http://www.clubhotrod.com/

Lots of experienced and friendly folk there. I hang out at both sites and have gathered lots of good info both places.

Here is a pretty neat idea. Take your 53 body and set it on a late model donor chassis. You can even keep the floor pan (since most old ones are rusted away) and as much of the firewall as will fit. By doing that you save time redoing the floorboards and have all the neat stuff from the late model firewall like the AC, pedal mounts, steering column etc. I've seen some super clean conversions that way. If you find a 99 or newer donor the LSx becomes a bolt in. You also have 4 wheel disk brakes and a modern suspension that parts are readily available for. Something to think about.

Good luck with the project

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 12-04-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Pat. I hadn't thought about the doner chasis... I'll give the link you posted a shot

Quick Reply: Contemplating new Project - Need Advice