Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 8.1 into 52 Chevy Panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 8.1 into 52 Chevy Panel

Hi guys, I am just starting a new project. I have a 52 Chevy Panel truck that I am doing a full frame off build on. I found a 2002 8.1 out of a 3/4 ton Chevy 4X4. The truck was wrecked in transit to the dealership so the engine has 2 miles on it. I can pick up the egine, tranny, transfer case, ecm and wiring harness for $5000. I have done engine swaps before but never with so much electrical involved. Here are my questions-

1) To get rid of the transfer case and convert to 2 wheel drive do I just need a new tail section on the trans or is it easier to get a two wheel drive trans? How will this affect the electrical part of the system? What about the new 6 speed auto that Chevy has?

2)How do I integrate the electronics with a new system- such as the gas pedal drive by wire system, etc? Is there a company that makes a "miracle" harness to make my life much simpler?

3)Are there any aftermarket manufacturers for appearance parts such as pulley kits, valve covers, etc.

If I can get this figured out the truck will get the new cam/heads 8.1 with a Radix supercharger to move it down the road. If not I will build the 502 NA that I originally planned.
Thanks for the guidance!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

I think that would be a great swap if you can make it work.
The best money I spent on my swap was the factory repair manual set I bought on ebay for the 1998 camaro donor car I used. It has all the info I needed for my swap. If you bought a set of manuals for the 2002 truck, you could probably figure out what you need out of the wiring harness. My guess is that you could use the gas pedal set up out of the 2002 truck, and plug it into the wiring harness to make it work. Custom programing of the ecm could take care of things like vats, and other things that are problems with the swap.

My best guess on apperance items would be street and performance. they are always adding new engines to their list.

As for the trans, I have no Idea. Maybe look under a 2 wheel drive truck and see what it looks like. Maybe it is just a matter of swapping the rear housing.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

The question will be is the trans the 4L80E or the Allison 1000 series.

I'm fairly certain that the 4L80E uses different output shafts & tailshaft housings for 2wd & 4wd. And you've got to take the entire trans apart to change output shafts. Not exactly what you'd want to try at home.

Have no idea about the Allison, but I expect its more of the same kind of deal.

Not sure if that helps any or not.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: 2002 8.1 into 52 Chevy Panel