Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to keep both PCMs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to keep both PCMs?

Putting an LS1 into my jeep wrangler and I think I finally decided that I'm going to use a spintech harness to get it done. My question is can I completely remove the Jeep's PCM? I don't have ABS or anything tricky like that that I can think of that the PCM would need to control anymore. What is typically done? I think the answer is probably that people run two PCMs, but why is that necessary? The only reason I can think of is that it's just a pain in the butt to remove all the unnecessary wiring because it's tied in with other wires that are necessary like headlights and such. Is that it?
Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are using the lsx engine management i see no reason to keep the old stuff. Unless it somehow ties into something you are retaining but based on what you said it doesnt.

Dave
Old 02-11-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What year Jeep? Most of the time you need to keep the Jeep PCM if you want to keep the stock gauges. The Jeep PCM sends the signal for the water temp, fuel level, and I think a few other things too.
I know the speed sensor is seperate, and some other things like A/C can bypass the Jeep Computer.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

The jeep is a 2000. I bet you're right that some gauges require it. I guess maybe a jeep specific forum would be a better place to ask that question. I'll post what I find back here. This place is great

Quick Reply: Do I need to keep both PCMs?