Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evap canister removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default evap canister removal?

Is it ok to remove the canister in the front left corner of third gen camaros? Do you just cap off where it connects near the fuel lines? And...Are there any ill effects from doing this? I'd like to run my intake plumbing over there.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

I was wondering the same thing about that with my setup. Have you capped it off yet and tried running it? I did have mine capped off and dont think it hurt anything but I also didnt have much drive time on mine yet just got it going really.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and no, I would not remove it because if you do you will probably get that gas smell around the car like with older cars. If you do remove it you need to either leave the line that went to the gas tank open or put a vented cap on the tank. If you just cap the vent line the tank will not vent and you will lose fuel pressure after a while.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Launching!

I'm in the same boat. I need to find an alternative to what came in the original car. I think finding a small charcoal canister from another vehicle would be best, but I wouldn't know how to purge it from time to time. Any ideas?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Before the LS1 swap, I had removed mine from my 92 TPI. You can plug the line if you want, there is another purge valve at the tank that will open before pressure gets too high (albeit higher pressure then the front valve). No need for a vented cap. I left the front unplugged to help balance it when pulling fuel and just put a filter on it just in case.

I never had the gas smell people complain about, I'm not sure how common it is.

Kevin D.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Default evap

I haven't tried running with the line capped. I thought there was some kind of a vent somewhere in the system. I'll just try it and see what happens I guess. Thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

along the same lines, i am going to keep the canister, but the purge valve wire has been deleted from the harness, so what your saying is it doesn't matter if the manifold valve purges,the rear valve will vent the tank? THANKS
Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

All I'm sure of is on a third-gen f-body, using the third-gen tank. The check valve at the tank will vent it before pressure get anywhere close to 'dangerous tank swelling' pressure.

The valve on the can opens at 5 kPa, while the valve on the tank will open at 5.5-7.6 kPa. Not much different. Futher reading reveals that the same tank valve with open to fresh-air when the tank has vacuum. So looks like you can yank the can and cap the line without any issues (besides a possible gas smell that I never had).

Kevin D.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Great responses. Thanks everyone-she's capped now.

Quick Reply: evap canister removal?