Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60 Trans info

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 Trans info

I transplanted a LS-1 & a 4l60 trans. into a 1971 Chevy p.u. As you know the 4l60 trans. speedometer is electric. I am wanting to hookup my cable 1970 speedometer to it. Someone said caddys have a 4l60 transmission that will except both electric and cable. That would be cool,just swap out the trans. tail sections. Anyone got info on this swap? Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 06:01 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not seen/heard of a 4L60E from a LSx series motor that had a mechanical speedometer output. The 4L60E transmissions from 94-96 police caprices could be ordered with dual speedometer outputs, but the tailhousings on all pre LSx 4L60E transmissions had 4 bolts instead of 6 (different spacing pattern too). Jags that run has a conversion kit to bolt one of those housings on but it is like $300+. The only other solution for running a mechanical speedo that I have found is to use the abbott cable X which is also $300. I just put electric autometer speedo guts behind my mechanical speedometer face, I upgraded to a 120mph speedo so I had to have a new face made, but it looks stock. I bought the speedo off ebay for $50 including shipping, couldn`t justify $300 just for a speedometer.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ! That might work. Getting a electric speedo, removing the face and replacing it with the old chev one. How about the wiring,you just used the gm factory color code? After you did your was the registered speed about the same. I do remember one guy years ago, up dated my clock in my 49 ford car. He bought a lil battery operated clock from Hobby Lobby and changed the face. Worked like a charm. THANKS A LOT !!!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 AM

As far as wiring, all I had to wire in was the ground, power and a VSS signal, my autometer speedo was the oldtyme model so it has a mechanical looking odometer and it accepted the square wave output from the computer making it even easier. Making it accurate was also pretty easy, since the speedometer is programmable it sets the needle to half scale when you are trying to program it, so all I had to do was put it in the programming mode and put the needle on at half scale. I did have to make a new face with graphics, since my stock speedo only went to 85 and the autometer went to 120. I had someone make the face and then printed it out on cardstock and glued it over the stock face. I`ll try and post some pics later.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:04 PM

Heres a couple of pics. The first two are the autometer speedo disassembeled, the last two are after the conversion. Unfortunantently since I used a donor speedometer face and needle from a different year the needle is a brighter orange than the rest but it will be very easy to switch the needle once I find one that is the right color.
Attached Thumbnails 4L60 Trans info-speedo-autometer-front.jpg   4L60 Trans info-speedo-autometer-side.jpg   4L60 Trans info-speedo-cluster.jpg   4L60 Trans info-speedo-finnished.jpg  

Quick Reply: 4L60 Trans info