Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooded Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flooded Engine?

So a buddy of mine has the opportunity to pick up the front subframe/engine cradle of an ls1 car with all accesories, wiring, basically everything tailshaft forward for pretty cheap. Only catch is the cars been flooded. How bad is that? I don't know jack about ls1's so would cleaning it all out work? require a rebuild? Thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read a thread bout this a while ago, anything to do with electrical will be destroyed, I wouldnt buy it because water prob got in every little thing, vents, etc.. If it's been attempted to be started while waterlogged, there is most likely serious damage, like cracked or bent rods. I would stay away. I guess marine guys deal with it sometimes, usually flushing the oil until it's no longer milky, then replacing wiring and they keep running. Waste of time IMO. there's plenty out there. How cheap?
olly
Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

It all depends on what the inside of the stuff looks like, unfortunately you probably wont know until its to late. at the very least expect to do a complete rebuild on the motor and probably the tranny. Its gonna be an expense that you (or he) would probably regret!!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Read a thread bout this a while ago, anything to do with electrical will be destroyed, I wouldnt buy it because water prob got in every little thing, vents, etc.. If it's been attempted to be started while waterlogged, there is most likely serious damage, like cracked or bent rods. I would stay away. I guess marine guys deal with it sometimes, usually flushing the oil until it's no longer milky, then replacing wiring and they keep running. Waste of time IMO. there's plenty out there. How cheap?
olly
A buddy of his owes him BIG, so it's be literally next to nothing. Almost free. I figured it'd be good to pick up even for just parts? Who knows, might be better to keep the favor looming of the guys head for something else. Unfortunately neither of us can go take a look at it, it's a couple hundred miles away. MIGHT be able to get another friend down there to take a look at it.

I think the tranny should be fine with a good fluid change, right? It's a t56.

Quick Reply: Flooded Engine?