Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 into 1967 Tempest/GTO Clone

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 into 1967 Tempest/GTO Clone

I have toasted too many traditional pontiac motors to count, and my wife has had it.

She has suggested I move to a new crate engine so i am thinking to move towards the 2006 LS2/T56.

Each time the the old 455 and 421 iron was rebuilt it cost a bloody fortune (between 8K and 12K depending on civility), and not one of 'em lasted. 4 pro built engines, and two of my own built ( I was a prototype machinist, mechanical engineer, and former pro mechanic in several of my past careers!) in the last 7 years. Too damned many times to do it again. Not to mention the cost is simply too high for 40 year old technology that pings at 9.5/1, and is too temperamental to live with street manners if ya want to run 12"s. I went through several Comp Cams camshaft failures before we all figured out the oil companies reformulated and removed some required additives (like zinc) thanks to the EPA!!! so our older engines do not last. Several bearing sets ruined, rods broken, expensive forged cranks ruined etc...and I am sick and tired of rebuilding it. In lost motors alone, i have spent well over 40K. Perhaps if I was still 20...I wouldn't mind redoing the same thing over, and over and over.....but at 46 and in seriously declining health, I simply want to drive the thing, and be able to turn on the ac, and not worry about stinking out the car behind me cuz the engines lose so much fuel due to carburetion and cylinder wash. I also want the thing to last more than a few years so the idea of a longer lasting engine really appeals.

I had an LS1/T56 98 WS6 that was built well after purchase, and ran consistent high 12's with it while getting 28 on the freeway, and frankly the engine was as smooth as a sewing machine around town, and damned powerful.

The LS2 should replace my well built but tempermental 455 nicely and shave weight as well as offer far better strength and design internally. My block is toast and for the cost of an aftermarket block and heads that offer no warranty whatsoever, I can have the entire LS2 with a factory warranty. I also know for a fact my mileage will double or better. So...what do I need to make this work? I found an engine online at crate engine depot, price is right, and a rebuilt T56 from this board will go with it.

Having said all that...anyone else done to this an A body? What kind of geometry/fitment issues exist, and what are the workarounds? How about using old and newer systems, such as powerbrakes and AC compressor and how to integrate? \

Sorry for so many questions...but enquiring minds want to know. Also would very much welcome the DOD feature the LS2 is supposed to be able to do with this years engine. Now if we could get an EMU that would allow the extra 8% fuel economy as well as that T56...and bingo I will be seeing high 20 to low 30 MPG figures in a 3800 pound1967 automobile, and will not lose much if anything in the way of real power to the wheels. The 455/200R4 TCI combo I used NEVER saw close to 20 mpg so this would make things very civilized. Expertise? Between the tranny and engine I had 15K invested in the last setup. Needless to say...it didnt live long, but was very fast. Three cam failures in that block alone.

One last thing...please don't flame me on this choice. I am a pontiac die hard, and have done my best to keep pontiac iron in it, but it is time to go to something more reliable, as my time left on this orb isnt that long. Not being melodramatic, it's just the way it is. I want to enjoy it, not be broken down on the road with my wife and kid like we did last year on our way to hot august nights due to temp creep. The heat just kills me now that I am not healthy. I am also thinking a 2006 LS2/T56 with AC and PS/PB and my kickass XM/4000 watt stereo system with dual 12 JL subs and boston acoustics satellites we have installed into the old Tempest/GTO would make for a VERY unique offering at the car shows I enter. The car is maroon, with a show quality paint job, new global west tubular coilover QA1 suspension, 11 inch discs front and rear, metco billet upper and lowers rear control arms, 3.23 posi, Nitto 235/45/17's on American Eagle 5 spokes, freshly upholstered in leather on the original frames, vintage air retrofit, and all the latest modern conveniences except the drivetrain. Now that I am foirced to decide on how to spend the next 10 grand...It's time. Guide me! Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I want this to be right, and ready for the summer.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a fair number of folks swapping LSx motors into A bodies. Try a search on Chevelle and you should turn up a few, try El Camino as well. Also the FAQs in the stickies at the top of the page have a lot of good info. There are some differences between the LS2 and the LS1/6, but most of the issues are the same. Fuel, Exhaust, Wire Harness and ECU will top the list. There are a number of mount adapters to chose from as well. Good luck with your swap, as far as keeping it all Pontiac, the LS2 is a GTO motor too, and probably badder than any of the iron blocks that were put out in the good old days.

Hopefully some of the A Body guys will chime in as well.

Pat
Old 03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i appreciate the pointers. Mid 12's was harder to do in the old iron than most people will admit, and they simply don't last. The crate motor seems the best way to go given my poor health. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem, a Create Engine is good, but you will end up buying and looking for all of the other Assc' and part, why not look for a low mileage take out engine and trans..!? would be cheaper in the long run and the save $$ can be put to other speed and add on's ?

Many post on A-Body conversion, I am 75% done with my 71' Chevelle. You will have to modify your cooling and fuel system. But that is not hard. good luck, I'll keep an eye on your Thread/post.

Quick Reply: LS2 into 1967 Tempest/GTO Clone