Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going into a 79 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going into a 79 camaro

I plan on starting the swap to an lsx engine and was wondering if anyone makes a kit or something for it so I can keep my th-350 behind the lsx? Im probably not going to start it soon but I just want to get as much information that I can. More than likely a ls1 but would love to do the ls2 or the ls7 any and all help please! Ive read through the posts here but didnt see that question addressed, if I missed it, my bad.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by 79mike; 04-04-2006 at 03:40 PM. Reason: forgot to say
Old 04-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Restricted User

Look at Nasty Z28.com
You should get a OD trans. for a steet car.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Any reason you want to stay with the TH350? When you pick up a used engine, it usually is packaged with a transmission. The T56 and 4l60e xmissions are good setups .... and having the over-drive is very nice ....
Old 04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Teching In

The reason I wanted to keep the 350 in there is because it is already built and I also just got a nice b&m shifter in it. but then decided to say screw it and go with an lsx engine instead of building my 355. but if I did change out the transmissions Id go with the t56 but that would make me have to change the shifter, mounts and console a little. I know that transdapt (or Ive heard) makes a mount for the 4l60e but like I said id rather go with the t56 if I change it. I could always make a custom console so it looks like it was made for it though, either way, its more expensive.... but then again, ive never done this before and I could be completely wrong about it.... it would be nice to have a high number gear in the back and still get good gas mileage with the t56
Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Launching!

I'm in the process of putting an LS1 / 4L60E into my 78 Z28 already.
I am selling my 2 year old Stage II 700R4 from CKperformance.com for around a G-note. It's only got MAYBE 2,000 miles on it. The D5 converter 2400 stall comes with it since I have no use for it either.

If interested let me know by way of PM or email to Nastyz28@gmail.com
I'm selling my whole drivetrain in there now that's almost all new.
This LS1 install is more expensive then you'll realize.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 79mike
TI could always make a custom console so it looks like it was made for it though, either way, its more expensive.... but then again, ive never done this before and I could be completely wrong about it.... it would be nice to have a high number gear in the back and still get good gas mileage with the t56
I'm not sure what the camaro consoles are like, but in the "amazing coincidence" category, it turns out that the 78 TransAm *automatic* console lines up almost perfectly for the T56 shifter. Note that I haven't verified this myself, but another guy on a different forum who did that conversion into his 78 t/a tried it out for me. Funny thing is, if you have the manual console it won't work because the shifter position was several inches further forward compared to the T56.

Anyhoo ... my 78 t/a had a th350 in it and I'm swapping to the T56. The only things you really need to do are: get a set of 2nd gen clutch/brake pedals (ebay, classic industries, NPD or Ames), get a clutch mounting plate - I got mine from ATS (sponsor), but others make them too, and then just cut a hole in the center tunnel for the shifter to come through.

Note that I haven't actually done this yet, but I've talked to several who have done it on 2nd gens.

If it were me .. I'd sell the built TH350 and shifter that you have and get an LS1+T56 package.

Just my $0.02 (canadian)

Quick Reply: Going into a 79 camaro