Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump pressure test and other ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump pressure test and other ?

I have my harness all wired in now, including the fuel pump relay and the wire from the relay to the pump. I would like to turn everything on to make sure it works, and also check for leaks in the system. If I put my key in the "On" position without cranking, will the pump stay on and build pressure if the motor is not running?

I have not put power to anything yet, so this will be a "smoke test". What else should I check? I have an ETC throttle, will I be able to move the throttle blade by pushing the pedal with just the key on?

It's getting close to fire up!

Pat
Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you turn the key to the on position the fuel pump will run for 2 seconds, it will not run again until either the engine is running or you turn the ignition off and then back on which would make it run for another 2 seconds.

I think you should be able to move the throttle blades with just the key on and the engine not running, but I never played with a ETC engine before, just read about um on the board.

As far as what else to check I can`t think of anything, on my swap I hooked everything up, purged the air from the fuel line and started it right up.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVen though it's a ETC TB, you still should be able to turn the ignition to the ON position and check the full fuel pressure at the rail. You should also be able to check the TPS % or voltage with a datalogger as well.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat, you might have to bleed your fuel system first. I know it's contrary to popular belief but I've had it occur on more than one occasion that with a dry pump it'll just sit there and cavitate. On my initial "key on" I had no fuel pressure and that Walbro was just sitting there humming away under 6 gallons of fuel. My son took the air hose and just popped a little pressure (a couple of psi) into the tank thru the filler neck and like magic you could hear the pump pick it up and bang!........50 psi.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump pressure test and other ?