Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006 | 02:42 PM
8 Second Club

Default need wiring help

since i'm not that familiar with electrical systems , and given the fact i hate electrical work , i bring to you today the following questions

i have a 92 fox body that i'm swapping an ls1 in , an i'm to the point where i'm wiring things up. my question today is regarding the mustang starter solenoid.

there is a small terminal with a red wire coming into it from the mustang harness , is this the signal from the ignition switch?

on the left post on the solenoid (looking from the top of the solenoid with the small post on the bottom ) the thin wire goes to the starter signal , is that correct?
on the right post , there is a positive thick cable coming from the battery and then there is another ( same size one ) going from the same post to the starter , correct ?

on the same post there are a bunch of wires that i have no clue on what they are:
there is a green wire coming out that splits into two wires ( black with orange stripe, and a brown one) what are they for??

there is also a resistor looking thingy that has a black with yellow stripe wire coming out of it. again , what is this for?

then there is a yellow thick wire ( i think its a fusable link that splits into 3 wires, what is that for?

as i describes it does it sseem to be wired correctly??
why is the battery positive cable on the same post as the positive cable going to the starter?? it could be that i just put them there when i was ripping everything appart ...

another different question is do i have to hook up the wire coming out of the alternator to anything from the old harness? ( i have a speartech one and to tell you the truth i didn't check if the harness came with a plug to the alternator)

thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2006 | 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not knowledgable to Foxes but my basic tech skills say that you don't need the fox starter solenoid. Simply take that trigger wire that goes to OE solenoid from the igniton switch and extend it going down to the GM trigger post. Then run a big positive 8 gauge down to the start from your battery. All of those connectors going to your solenoid are more than likely power feeds to various things in the chassis IE. Lighting, horn, powerfeeds to old ecu etc... You can run those off the battery or get a junction box to clean it up if you don't want it going straight to the battery. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.
-Alex
Old 04-16-2006 | 11:59 PM
8 Second Club

thanks!
but any idea what the other wires are for?

so i just take the trigger (red) wire that used to go to the solenoid and extend it to the starter (small ) terminal ( bypassing the solinoid)????

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 04-17-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2006 | 01:44 PM
8 Second Club

anyone?
Old 04-17-2006 | 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

I am doing a swap on a 93...some of my wires are different colored, but from your descriptions, this is what I think they are for.

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
there is a small terminal with a red wire coming into it from the mustang harness , is this the signal from the ignition switch?!
Is it just one wire, pretty small with a L-shaped boot on it? I had one on mine, but it was red/blue and it was part of the wiring harness to the Mustang tranny.

on the same post there are a bunch of wires that i have no clue on what they are:
there is a green wire coming out that splits into two wires ( black with orange stripe, and a brown one) what are they for??
I'm not sure on this one, because I haven't gotten that far, but looking at my wiring diagrams I believe that they go to the internal alternator regulator, which is part of the charging system.

there is also a resistor looking thingy that has a black with yellow stripe wire coming out of it. again , what is this for?
On mine, this is the power feed for the power windows, power locks and power seats.

then there is a yellow thick wire ( i think its a fusable link that splits into 3 wires, what is that for?
Power feeds - on mine the yellow (after the fuse link) goes to the ignition switch and the fuse panel; the black/orange goes to the fuse panel; the black/yellow powers the rear window defroster and the fuse panel. If you need this broken down further (which wires power what from the fuse panel), I can get you that too.

You may want to take this with a grain of salt, since mine is a 93. I am using a Helms factory electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual for the wiring diagrams. It is a great book and I would have been lost without it, but then again I have absolutely no electrical/wiring experience. FWIW, I have eliminated about 10 lbs. of wires they I don't need any longer just from the dash and chassis harnesses.
Old 04-18-2006 | 12:08 AM
8 Second Club

thanks flashman!

so which one is the ignition signal from the key?? shouldn't it be the L shaped connector on the small post?
Old 04-18-2006 | 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The small L shaped is the trigger. Extend that to the solenoid in the LS1.
-Alex
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

thanks.
now back to the other questions!
Old 04-19-2006 | 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

any one
Old 04-19-2006 | 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a picture of the starter relay with all the wires attached to it. I had removed the positive battery cable, but I don't remember which side it went to. My guess is the right side since it's empty in the photo. Photobucket resized this picture, so it you can't see what you need, pm me your email and I will send you the full size pic.
Old 04-20-2006 | 03:33 AM
8 Second Club

thanks flashman!

Quick Reply: need wiring help