Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An introduction...And my build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An introduction...And my build...

Hi all, my name is Pete. I have an addicition. I can't leave anything good enough alone I've been lurking for a few months, and have managed to get nearly all of my questions answered just by searching and reading the board

Anyway, by 5.3L swap began this past weekend. It is going into a '79 Jeep Cherokee. Not the little XJ's but the big brother of all Jeeps Being cheap, I am putting an odd combination of parts together. I am using a 4L60E, but it is from a '98 S-10 Blazer. I am also using the old stock Quadratrac transfer case, which no one makes an adapter to do. So I ended up making one myself over the last couple weeks.

Anyway, take a look ay my site. I'll be updating it as I go along. I seriously plan to have it wrapped up by Memorial Day, so I will be busy...

Last edited by jeepinpete; 04-18-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the board Pete, that sounds like a crazy project. Now about that link... Where is it?

Pat
Old 04-18-2006, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Default Oops

Forgot to turn on the signature
Old 04-18-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome....looks like you already making good progress. I also have a deadline I set for myself.....10 days before memrial day. I have tons to do...

all the best with your project
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Default Progress Pictures

Last weekend my buddy Joe and I tore down the front end of the Cherokee. Pulled all the sheet metal from the firewall forward. Also got the drivetrain disconnected and pulled. Some pics:

Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the project has started, great! If you want a real easy place to keep a project journal, check out the site in my sig. It's free and also gives you space to provide a narrative.

Pat
Old 04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Thats badass, good luck. I've always loved those Jeeps, we used to have one when I was younger...good times. Tim.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Here is a pic of the adapter that I made up. I am using an adapter kit from Advance Adapters. The AA kit is made to adapt a 700R4 to the QT, but the 4L60E has a different bolt pattern...

This picture is of the adapter shaft that came in the AA kit. I welded the notched ring onto the end of it. That ring is for the vehicle speed sensor...

The AA kit requires cutting a length off of the transmission output shaft. I made the adapter as long as I could to minimize this, and to try to keep the overall length of the engine and trans the same as stock. In the end I had to cut about 3/4" with a cutoff wheel in the dremel. Here is a couple pics with the adapter and shaft on the new trans:

Here are a couple pics of old vs new side by side:

[/QB][/QUOTE]\\n');
Old 04-21-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You planning on rebuilding that V6 4L60E soon? I had my V6 trans from a 97 4.3 on the back of a V8 making about 320hp and it started slipping after about 3 months. Had it rebuilt with more clutches, kevlar bands, a Corvette servo, and some of the other upgrades, then it ran just fine for years.

Quick Reply: An introduction...And my build...