Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 95camaro engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with 95camaro engine swap

Alright first off sorry if this is in the wrong forum didnt knwo which one it belonged in....

Ok heres whats going on. We have a 95 Camaro, 6 Cylinder 5spd. Only mods were 5 pin chrome wheels, and headers on the 6.

We are in the process of purchaseing an engine from a friend. 8 cyl from an 97 Trans Am or firehawk(if there is a difference) with ram air induction he also has an aftermarket transmision he has on his firebird that he will be giveing us. Mods on engine include the usual little things and bolt ons i believe. The car was totaled by a friend of a friend and he bought it back from the insurance company and parted it out.

None of us are too technical savvy, i can do minor engine work and stuff while my partner can barely change his oil without a problem. Illl probally be useing some local help but we are trying to do this by ourselves, one for the enjoyment and accomplishment and two out of pure boredom.

I do have a few questions on what else will need to be upgraded....problem plugs/wires, computer(tried going to a junk yard that didnt work) right now the camaro has the stock 95 rear end, im thinking thats going to need to get upgraded if so any sugestions? Is there anything else that should/need to be upgraded for this to run smoothly? Any info and help greatly apreciated.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you grab the K member, computer, and wiring from the wrecked car, that would make it much easier for you. The rear end will be fine, all the 4th gens use the same crappy weak 7.5/7.625" rear. The wiring may be a real PITA if you are not good electrically, most people seem to have trouble with it, if you don`t feel comfortable check out one of the sponsors for a plug and play harness
Old 04-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea whats a k member?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the front suspension of the car, it is the part that the control arms bolt to and the the engine bolts to. Since f-bodies are uni-body cars you can unbolt the complete front suspension and bolt it into your car that way you have the correct V8 springs, the engine and trans can be dropped out of the bottom of the car.

Quick Reply: Help with 95camaro engine swap