Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why mods with gas tank with 56??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why mods with gas tank with 56??

i have been told that modifications are required with the fuel tank/supply if i plan to install an ls1 into a 56 belair. why is this? i'm asking because i am considering installing a 454 big block that has a similar intake setup as the ls1/ls6(the intake is from an 8.1 liter 8100). would this setup still require mods in the fuel supply?

thanks,
shad
Old 05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel pressure is the key item here.. Carbs only require about 8psi or less and the EFI requires anywhere from 45 to 65 psi (depending on the systems and engine requirements).

also require a pressure regulator that can handle the higher pressure as will the fuel filter. A return line from the regulator will be needed also.

Baffling the tank or slumping the tank will be required to keep the pump from staving.

If you want to keep the stock tank. You can try the Tanks INC. in tank system. Or go big time with one of the Stainless Steel take form Rock Valley or Ricks. They have direct replacements.

There are many options.. check out some of the threads in this forum. Good luck. just keep this thread going if you have questions.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Got any pics of your '56?

David
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

as soon as i get it back from the paint shop i'll get some pics up. i am not partial with staying with the stock tank...basically i want to get done what needs to be done as cost effectively as possible. i just read a posting about some one using a ford f-150 tank/sending unit...maybe i'll look into this.

let me know if yall have anymore ideas!

thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Maybe a little off-topic but you should also consider fuel tank capacity. Tri-fives have small tanks. This a perfect opportunity to get a larger capacity tank but you will have to remove the spare tire well to install it. Decide soon so your body shop can make this mod before paint. I am installing an LS7 in my '57 and I decided to use a 22 gallon Rock Valley tank. After comparing $$ for other options, I felt their SS tank was the best choice because it includes the 65 PSI pump I need, the capacity I want and the durability of stainless. Everyone I talked to said their quality is also second to none.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Default 8100

can someone point me in the direction of a fuel rail system for an 8.1 or how i can fabricate one? will an ls1/2/6 fuel rail/injector setup work?

thanks,
shad
Old 05-06-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try Aeromotive's Billet Fuel Rail, that should get you started in the right direction for fab'in one up.

Quick Reply: why mods with gas tank with 56??