Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this 67/68 RS SS worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this 67/68 RS SS worth anything?

damn dude oslt it

Last edited by 560SL; 05-27-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Is it matching numbers?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as restoring it to original numbers correct status, forget it.

The 68 is the least desirable year of the first gens due mainly to no option codes. The only way to document that it was an RS/SS is by what little equipement is left on the car. you will never recoupe your money you sink into it trying to locate all the correct parts. If your looking to buy it and do a Pro touring or street rod build up with it then you may have something. The street rodded first gens are easier/cheaper to build and will in some cases bring as mutch money if not more than the original numbers cars. People like the old school look but want the comfort and performance of the newer cars.
It looks like a good find though, I would snag it up if the price is right.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
As far as restoring it to original numbers correct status, forget it.

The 68 is the least desirable year of the first gens due mainly to no option codes. The only way to document that it was an RS/SS is by what little equipement is left on the car. you will never recoupe your money you sink into it trying to locate all the correct parts. If your looking to buy it and do a Pro touring or street rod build up with it then you may have something. The street rodded first gens are easier/cheaper to build and will in some cases bring as mutch money if not more than the original numbers cars. People like the old school look but want the comfort and performance of the newer cars.
It looks like a good find though, I would snag it up if the price is right.
That thing needs a lot of work...especially to put it back to origional. If there isn't much rust on it and you could pick it up pretty cheap, I say get it. Sell the 350/4spd, replace it with LSx/6spd, maybe 4th gen interior, tubular front end, rack and pinion, I could go on.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont understand people wanting the 4th gen interior.. its one of the worst i've ever seen. the original 1st gen interior (with console) is much better IMO.. That car needs plenty of rust work, but doesnt look like it's been wrecked or beaten on.. i'd pick it up if the price is right.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Launching!

It's got to be worth something.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I think some of you guys are little too quick to jump on the LSX swap with this car. First, the car is a '67, and it looks like it is an RS/SS 350/ 4sp with deluxe interior and Rallye gauges. Looking at the pictures, I'd say all this stuff is original, it's got all the correct parts on it. That being said, those options make for a very desirable car. I'd check out the trim tag, and need to see if the original drivetrain was intacted. There definitely looks like it could need rust work, and the new looking quarters worry me, as decent bodywork seems to be about as hard to find as reasonalbly priced first gen. If the car is all there and you're ready to do it right, I say restore it; unmolested and unrestored RS/SS Camaros aren't too easy to come by anymore.

You can check http://www.camaros.org for more authentication/original equipment sort of info. Also, I am definitely not opposed to LSX swaps, as I'm doing one, but I just don't see the point of taking a well optioned original car and tearing it up.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeremiah, you better do alittle rearch, all you need is the build sheet or to know what to look for, the cars in great shape I drove ones in worse shape as daily drivers, 67 are rough cars 69's played out every *** has one'

and what do you mean what little equipment left on it, 1st gens were bare bones disposable cars, the owners were to toss them and up grade to Chevelles or Malibues,
Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say buy it, dont worry about matching numbers yada yada, just buy it and make it look nice and drive the **** out of it, i love first gens.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Launching!

How much do you think it would be worth fully restored? I don't even know if it runs or not.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:15 AM
Launching!

I'd say this car would definatley be worth it to pick up for the right price. Just make sure you are ready to tackle a project this big as the rust repair can take alot of time and money.

Check how solid the floors and trunk are as it looks like you'll have to replace those 1/4's and wheel wells anyways.

It looks to be an original '67 RS/SS which is definately worth something, and I'd think it would be worth more if the motor and trans are matching numbers than if it had an LS1 swap.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

that is a 67 looks like a rs with the back up lights and other rs options needs alot of work though
Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks to me like a pretty good find. Whether it is worth buying depends on the price. It is well equipped, looks like most of the trim is there, obviously some of it will need to be re-done. The value will depend on whether it has the original motor and trans. It does not matter if it runs or not since you would probably want to re do it anyway. If it is all original it would be worth restoring, if not then rod it. A lot depends on what your skills and how thick your wallet is. Here is an example on EBay that looks to be in worse shape than this one. Bidding is already over 4 grand with 27 bids and there are still 6 days left on the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...QQcmdZViewItem

There are 11 67 RS SS up for auction right now:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/1967-r...Z1QQsofocusZbs

Use that as a guide as you evaluate this one. If you decide not to get it, share the location and info with your buddies here incase someone else might be interested.

Pat
Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I agree that it looks like it's a good find and worth buying it depends on the price. This being said I wouldn't use this car for an LS1 swap because there are alot of easier and cheaper ways to go. If I was looking for one to swap I would buy one already done or one that was done and do the swap to it. Alot less headaches that way. Now if I was looking for one to restore that was fairly uncommon with a lot of options and some potential I would buy this one. Again it depends on your skills and your wallet.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Go for it!! Its not that rusty compaired to the two i started with. it just takes a lot of time, work and money. Even if its not numbers matching if you found a date coded block or whatever then it would still be worth something. People pay for the RS/SS. Do what you want, of course people on here are gonna tell you to put and LSx/6spd in but if you went to www.camaros.net they would tell you to put a 350/4spd in it. Its a great find, those cars are going up in price get them while they are cheaper. Have fun with it!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd buy it in a heartbeat for under 10g if it's a matching #'s car, and restore it to original condition. I wouldnt hesitate to drop an LSX into a 6cyl car, but if everything's there on this one, I wouldnt destroy it. I dont like how it has replacement quarters, but if everything looks straight, it might be OK. I've definately seen worse when I was looking for a project.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not worth anyhing. just drop it off at my house and forget about it.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Launching!

lol well I tried to get the hood up but it wouldnt open. I did look under the car and it had an oil pan visible so a motor is there...I'm just not sure if it is original or not.

Where can I verify that it is an SS? How do I check to see if it is numbers matching?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

an SS will have a 12 bolt (has two bolts at the bottom of the diff, right next to each other), front disc brakes, the tach (it has it) and the cowl tag will have a code, too. The engine casting number should be 3892657.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 560SL
lol well I tried to get the hood up but it wouldnt open. I did look under the car and it had an oil pan visible so a motor is there...I'm just not sure if it is original or not.

Where can I verify that it is an SS? How do I check to see if it is numbers matching?
The hood latch should be accesible through the front grille. Try to get the casting numbers on the block, tranny & rearend. If it has a 12-bolt rear just that could be worth $1K or so.

Check this site out: http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml it might help you decode the numbers on the car.

Last edited by Rybar; 05-29-2006 at 05:27 PM.