Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between fbody and c5 steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006 | 07:53 PM
Teching In

Default Difference between fbody and c5 steering pump

They have different part numbers but look the same. Will the fbody pump work on the c5 alternator bracket?
Old 06-05-2006 | 08:32 PM
Teching In

nobody? They look the same to me
Old 06-06-2006 | 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i can tell you that you can make a Fbody power steering pump and an Fbody alternator work on a C5 bracket...because i did it. You need to gind a little....and shim a little and after about 5 tries at slowly working them into shape....it fit like a dream and now it all works just fine for me. The hardest part was getting the inlet on the PS Pump....because it wont have the 45 degree tube like the C5 one does....so I had to invent one out of Copper tube and make it work. So if you have the time and the patience...it can work. I dont have all the details....but if enough people actually want to know how...I will tear it all back apart and walk myself through it until I get a semi write up on it.

J-
Old 06-07-2006 | 08:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I am putting my ls1 into my 2003 s10 soon. I am still gathering all the neccessary parts. I am just trying to save a little money were possible and the steering pump looks like it will work. If you can try and snap a picture of the inlet tube it would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2006 | 03:08 PM
Suspended Sponsor

The Fbody ps pump has a slightly larger shaft diameter than the c5 pump.
Old 06-09-2006 | 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have a photo of it....but I can tell you what I did. I went and got a brass 5/8" hose bard....with i believe 3/4" male thread....i filed down the threads until it fit into the hole on the PS pump....then i put a paper towel down inside the PS pump...and scuffed the inside of the PS pump inlet....I then used marine grade (Oil and Gas resistant) Epoxy...there are others just thats the one i found thats oil and gas resistant. And I epoxied in into the hole....I then went and found a 5/8" hose from the Auto Parts store that was preformed with a 90 degree bend in it. hooked it onto the Hose barc...clamped it down....and then slid it over the reservior side.....and it works without ANY issues at all.

J-

Quick Reply: Difference between fbody and c5 steering pump