Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine Choices for S10 swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Engine Choices for S10 swap!!

Hey Guys, I have a 99 S10 Xtended cab with 110k on it. This is my daily driver and has to be reliable. Currently is powered by the tired but still going strong 4.3 The truck is a valuable asset to me and I would like to re-power it next summer. I paid a reasonable amount for the truck and it has basically paid for itself ( I get paid for mileage at work). My goals with the truck are
1. Reliability
2. Better fuel mileage.
3. Better Performance (mainly for towing, I already have a race car)
4. Retain all creature comforts (AC/ Cruise)

With all that being said, what does everyone think about some of the new engines and transmissions coming from GM? The LS4 sounds like it would suit me but it doesn't have an application (PCM) that supports a North South Tranny.
The L76 and L92 are a little more my speed. Performance galore and they will end up coming in the new trucks wich means I can run the new 6l80 tranny with the original computer.
Does anyone know if the L76 has the DOD? I would like to keep this feature if at all possible with the retrofit. I am willing to buy either a crash vehicle takeout (as soon as they start appearing) or order a new one from GM (Even if the whole engine tranny PCM and harness combo cost me 6-7k, I would still be ahead of the game as I couldn't get in to a new truck for that (and I love my S10).
Well gents, am I crazy?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could afford either the L76 or the L92 *sigh*..maybe if I blow the LT up.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

I don't think your carzy.... just a little off kilter. I personaly loved my old s-10 and sold it over a year ago and now looking for another one for a gen3 swap. I found everyone I've talked to that s-10 and sold them missed having them and those that drove them like them. I personaly couldn't tell ya y. ,ost people that never had one don't like them though.
I'm planning on a 6.2 with ported head's and strock with a lower compression for a blower later on. I don't know much about the l79 though.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think you're loopy.....

I think either the L76 or L92 or any of the late model DOD motors would be very cool. Especially since the L92 makes great power stock and looks like it will have even bigger potential.

Here's my take on your idea:
Mechanically it shouldn't be a big deal. Well, the 6L80E might be a problem, I don't have any info on it dimensionally, so I can't say if it fits or not.

You'll probably want to run the Vette or CTS-V accessories (they're short and work arrangement-wise) and a car type manifold for the L92.

The biggest problem (in my mind) is the electronics integration. I would strongly suggest you start checking with the folks who handle harnesses to see what they say about it. Speartech and Current Performance would be the first one's I'd call. Reason I say this is because the dashboard is all electronic, and I expect you want all the systems (like cruise control and such) to work when you're done. Need to make sure that it is do-able. It may not be known at this point.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: New Engine Choices for S10 swap!!