Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual and auto harness differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual and auto harness differences

I have a 98 motor/harness/pcm that was pulled from an auto car. I purchased a T56 seperately from a board member. Now my question is in regards to mating the two up. The tranny didn't come with a harness. Do I need one, or is it easy enough to work around without it and still have reverse lights, functional reverse lockout and maybe speedo? Will one even work with the auto harness or do I need to source a 6 speed engine harness as well as the tranny harness. This is all going into a 1990 rx7 fc so I know that the electric speed signal will need to be converted to mechanical to drive the stock speedo, but aside from that, how will this affect things. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any directly related info.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can rework an auto harness to work with a manual trans, you just eliminate a bunch of wires and there are one or two that you need to add in. It is a lot easier than using a maual harness with an auto. The easiest way would be to get wiring diagrams for a 98 auto and a 98 manual and then you could see what needed to be changed, but you could probably do it from the pinouts posted in the sticky. The engine harness also controls the trans so you do not need another harness.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like I should be good to get started!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a link showing what I did to convert the auto harness to work with the T56. Remember to use a diode when you hook up the wires to the reverse lockout solenoid. Let me know if you need the part # for the diode or solenoid connector. Mine is a 99 harness so the pin #s are different but the procedure should be the same.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2073647/4

Last edited by Schitzo; 06-22-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

theres a writeup i was going to use if i had only been able to find an auto harness. its posted in the tranny swap sticky in the manual transmission board and gives wiring specifics.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a bunch fellas! That helps a lot.

Quick Reply: Manual and auto harness differences