Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford Ranger

I know this really isnt a question about just LS1, but someone just donated a ranger to me that i was thinking about making into a drag truck. What engine options do I have? I've got an older 454 that i could freshen up or I've got an LT1. Dont really want to put an ls1 into it, that would cost more than i want to spend. Anyone got any useful sites and is it possible to put a big block in it?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Launching!

www.therangerstation.com

Most people just put a 302/351 windsor based engine in. If your on a real junkyard budget go for a Ford 2.3L turbo. Those things can handle 400whp on the stock bottom end, just change the rod bolts for some added assurance.

I'm not typically impressed with 4 bangers... but it's quite a great engine. Check out www.turboford.net

With some cheap aftermarket manifold(or ported stocker) and a decent camshaft, all you gotta do is hog out and port everything(head, manifold, intake), add a big intercooler, and a holset turbo. Best bet for the computer would likely be an aftermarket EFI system. I'm planning on using Megaquirt since it's a build-it-yourself type of system and is way tunable and extremely budget friendly. www.megasquirt.info

I'm going to use a first gen RX7 to swap something into, and I stumbled upon this link... I think I'm sold:

http://www.eville140.com/rx7.html

Here is a good idea of a budget build-up that is very in depth and greatly helpful... It's in a fox body mustang so I think it's around the same weight as your Ranger.

http://silverbackracing.itgo.com/motorinstall.html
Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Launching!

I'm not worried about a little fab, i just didnt want to spend money on another engine when I have two good ones sitting around. I get the ranger next weekend and I am going to rip everything out and measure everything. I was thinking about starting with a S-10 motor mounts and modifiying them. I saw that rangerstation but they look down at chevy engines and I am a chevy engine man. The plan is to completely gut the truck and start from the shell up. Should be fun.....