Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combining a universal vehicle harness with the ls1

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combining a universal vehicle harness with the ls1

Ive got a 98 ls1 with a s&p wiring harness and a EZ 21 circuit universal wiring harness. The EZ harness seems to be setup for an older street rod.

1. I have an alt exciter wire from the EZ....can I connect this to my single (14 gauge) wire from my alt plug? (With the resister inline of course)?

2. From the EZ wire harness I have a coil wire.....can I connect this to my pcm power wire?

3. Complicated one: I currently have a huge 0 guage cable running from my battery to the starter to the alt.

My EZ instructions want a 10 gauge wire running from the starter/battery connection with a fusable link inline back to the fuse box. It also calls for a 12 gauge wire runnning from the fusebox to the alt. Then a 14 gauge wire between the starter/battery connection to the alt.

Is the 0 gauge wire going to affect the way the EZ wiring harness/fusible link is setup?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Teching In

The S&P harness is made by is made by these people 479-243-9115 Tony or jeff they should be able to help
Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Does the EZ universal harness have a resistor already in it? Most alt. exciter wires are supposed to have a light or resistor in them so it is possible that the universal harness may already have a resistor built in???? If it doesn`t you will have to add one, but you should be able to use the alt exciter wire from the univ. harness.

2. Yes you can.

3. I don`t think it would be effected, I think you would just end up with redundant power wires. But in reality I have no clue, I`m just guessing here.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-Body
1. Does the EZ universal harness have a resistor already in it? Most alt. exciter wires are supposed to have a light or resistor in them so it is possible that the universal harness may already have a resistor built in???? If it doesn`t you will have to add one, but you should be able to use the alt exciter wire from the univ. harness.

2. Yes you can.

3. I don`t think it would be effected, I think you would just end up with redundant power wires. But in reality I have no clue, I`m just guessing here.
thanks for the response

1) I dont see a resistor inline anywhere and its a universal harness so I doubt they stick one in there. I believe fords use a different ohm resistor so they probabaly just leave it out.

2) I dont know much about older engines, but im assuming a coil gets power on cranking and when running so it should work for the pcm.

3) yeah im kinda up in the air with this too. Im concerned that the fusible link wont function properly in case there is a power wire grounding.

Anyone else please chime in...thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyp
2) I dont know much about older engines, but im assuming a coil gets power on cranking and when running so it should work for the pcm.
Yes the coil will get power during cranking and running. If you look at any of my wiring documents in the sticky you will see that I suggest using the coil wire to power up the relays/computer, and that is how I have my car wired
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-Body
Yes the coil will get power during cranking and running. If you look at any of my wiring documents in the sticky you will see that I suggest using the coil wire to power up the relays/computer, and that is how I have my car wired

lol ive read through the stickies a hundred times during the conversion i promise!!! Just didnt this time.

Quick Reply: Combining a universal vehicle harness with the ls1