Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 chevelle LS & T56 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 chevelle LS & T56 conversion

Hello, I am a new member to the group and am looking for some help. I am planning an LS engine swap into a 70 chevelle. I know that LS to A-body swaps are more and more common everyday, and I am looking for guidance on where the problem areas of this swap are. The car is in great shape and has factroy buckets, sbc, ps, pb, and an auto trans. I would also like to convert the car to a manual in this process. Any insight would be great.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search there are many of us in the process or already finished. If you have any more specific questions ask away.

Problems: A/C compressor, gas tank solution/fuel pump, mounting clutch (I'm about to go through this)

Just a couple things that came to mind. None of them are really big problems and they have all been solved numerous ways. Bigger the budget the less fabrication, unless you are into that like a lot of us.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup.. Just search. I am just about to complete my 71 Chevelle.. you can search on some of the Chevelle guys userID (like stealth71's or mines ) in the Advanced search and you will get a lot of info.. JohnB has great info for his G-Body swap that will help on A-Body.

a few noted problems:
S&P style mount will require many new Accessory mod's, BRP system can use OEM Acc.
T56 - Trans tunnel may need to be cut to fit.
A/C unit - needs to be move (S&P style mounts) or X-member notched (BRP Style mounts)
Oil Pan needs to be cut if using S&P style mounts.

those seem to be a few major ones, but nothing that has not been done many times now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help
Old 09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

I used S&P Pan and mounts I moved back my frame mounts around two inches so my F-body ***, would clear the steering box I don"t have AC S&P mid length headders but F-body manifolds looked like they cleared fine. the rest of the exaust with Magnaflow exaust no cats. It drones a little with my auto but sounds GREAT when I am getting on it. Had to build a crossmember for the exaust to go under, the headers didnt come out in the same location as the humps in the stock crossmember. used part of it and used 1/2" By 6" thick square tube cut in half diagnal for the new humps. Mounted the computer under the glove compartment went through the fire wall just behind the intake. Cant see it with motor in.
For the 4L60E, I did need to beat in the trans tunnel just a little, I think the T56 is a little bigger. Some people are cutting the heck out of their trans tullel and fire wall. All I can say is I can't see why, in less they are mountiing the motor way too high. Oh ya, I used the F body oil pan from S&P. In fact, Look for their website and find their PROJECT PAGE They have a Chevelle and 6 speed they have done website is like www.hotrodlane.com but I am not sure.....
I have put the motot in with no trans and fenders on or trans and motor with out fenders and rad support If motor is going in after fenders are on, I would install without the intake on. It was easier to get to the back bolts. Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you use the a/c mounts from f-body motorsports, you don't have to knotch the frame crossmember. You will need to use and f-body compressor. It lookslike this when mounted.

Quick Reply: 70 chevelle LS & T56 conversion