Sponsored by:

From LT1 to LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From LT1 to LQ4

Hello,

I've finally came across something that interests me. I have a 1997 T/A with a 6 speed tranny. I've been wanting to convert it to an LS1 setup before I go to forced induction. Last night I ran across an LQ4 (6.0 Liter Iron Block LS1) that is out of a 2003 Denali. It comes with computer, wiring harness, flywheel, all belt accessories, heater hoses, AC hoses, fuel sump and exhaust manifold with Y pipe. The engine has 27000 miles on it and cranks, etc.

Due to the height of the intake that come on these truck motors, i know i'll have to change it out for an LSx style intake.

Also, I bought a McLeod Street Twin LT1 cluth with steel flywheel like 6000 miles ago for my LT1 before it siezed. I called Mcleod, they said that I'd have to change out tranny because the LT1 uses a push style clutch, while the LSx series uses a pull style therefore rendering my semi new clutch useless. I've already ordered a used LS1 T-56 tranny with bellhousing, slave and master cylinder and new clutch system. McLeod said the lsx style engines cranks are resessed back closer to the engine block .400" and thats the reason i'm getting a new tranny other than the push, pull problems.

Other than intake, tranny, and k member, will I need anything else to swap it in? Is the LT1 driveshaft still long enough?

Also, the LQ4 engine came mated with an automatic engine...how I plug in the t-56 tranny on an automatic wiring harness? Will I need a new wiring harness and computer for it to work with a t-56?

Thank you so much.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by samuelblake
Hello,

I've finally came across something that interests me. I have a 1997 T/A with a 6 speed tranny. I've been wanting to convert it to an LS1 setup before I go to forced induction. Last night I ran across an LQ4 (6.0 Liter Iron Block LS1) that is out of a 2003 Denali. It comes with computer, wiring harness, flywheel, all belt accessories, heater hoses, AC hoses, fuel sump and exhaust manifold with Y pipe. The engine has 27000 miles on it and cranks, etc.

Due to the height of the intake that come on these truck motors, i know i'll have to change it out for an LSx style intake.

Also, I bought a McLeod Street Twin LT1 cluth with steel flywheel like 6000 miles ago for my LT1 before it siezed. I called Mcleod, they said that I'd have to change out tranny because the LT1 uses a push style clutch, while the LSx series uses a pull style therefore rendering my semi new clutch useless. I've already ordered a used LS1 T-56 tranny with bellhousing, slave and master cylinder and new clutch system. McLeod said the lsx style engines cranks are resessed back closer to the engine block .400" and thats the reason i'm getting a new tranny other than the push, pull problems.

Other than intake, tranny, and k member, will I need anything else to swap it in? Is the LT1 driveshaft still long enough?

Also, the LQ4 engine came mated with an automatic engine...how I plug in the t-56 tranny on an automatic wiring harness? Will I need a new wiring harness and computer for it to work with a t-56?

Thank you so much.
When you pull that flexplate off, make sure the crank has a recess for the pilot bushing for the T56 input shaft. The LQ4 was only offered with an auto, so it might not be machined for the pilot bushing?

You'll need Fbody headers or exhaust manifolds. I doubt the truck exh. manifolds will work in a 4th gen.

You'll also need an LS1 style rack-&-pinnion and steering shaft cuz the shaft comes in at a different angle. Are you going to try and use the belt driven accessory mounts off the truck, or swap to the F-body style accessory mounting?

LT1 driveshaft will work fine, as they are the same length as the LS1 shafts.

Also, if you're going to use A/C, then you'll need to modify the hose connections to fit the newer style pump.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head........

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 10-15-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LR4 Vortec 4800 - 4.8 L
L33 Vortec 5300 - 5.3 L
LM4 Vortec 5300 - 5.3 L
LM7 Vortec 5300 - 5.3 L
LQ4 Vortec 6000 - 6.0 L
LQ9 Vortec HO 6000 - High-output 6.0 L

the LQ4 is a 6 liter. it makes 300 hp and should move pretty well! we had one in a work van at my old job. that thing had ***** for being a heavy and very unaerodynamic box.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, my bad. I get the LQ4 and LR4 confused all the time.

Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might want to call mcloed back. I am in the same boat as you. I have an lt1 t56 w/street twin. I have been thinking about doing an lq4 swap into my car. currently lt1/t56. I called mcloed tech, and told them what I wanted to do. The tech told me that they could make me a custom flywheel for 400 dollars that would allow me to bolt my lt1t56/streettwin combo to an ls1. This fact is what made me decide to go ahead with the swap.
If I were you I'd call the tech department again before buying any more parts.
Hope this helps.
Kory
Old 10-15-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, I am 99% sure your accessories are going to be a little different too. I think the standard truck accessory package puts the alternator up high on the engine and will probably interfere with your hood.

My honest opinion is that you might spend more money packaging the truck engine in the T/A than you would save buying a truck motor over the F-body motor. I was considering starting with a truck engine for my build and I decided to go with an Fbody engine instead.

-Dave

Quick Reply: From LT1 to LQ4