Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 T/A rear end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 T/A rear end rebuild

Anyone know any links to sites that explain rear differential rebuild for 79 TransAm? Hanes manual only discusses removal and instalation of Axle shafts, bearings, and seals. I'm looking for info on removal and instalation of new positraction unit and gears and getting everything to mesh properly.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

not entirely sure on setting backlash and such. there has to be a good book on it. usually though, it's a better idea to get a rear end built by a professional. also, you may want to look into getting a ford 9inch. they're sweet i'm doing the exact same thing you are (79 TA, frame off, ls1/t56) and i've just finished building my full floater ford 9inch with disc brakes, nodular center, 4.10's, detroit locker, 31 spline axles, and eldorado calipers. i shopped around for a WHILE, and ended up paying a total price of $1275 for everything. it's at home right now (i'm at school), but i'll get pics if you are interested.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done a few gear changes in the 8.5 10-bolt rears myself.
The actual rebuild is not too bad as far as replacing the parts, but
changing the gear and/or carrier is more complex.
It takes a ton of time and patience to do it right if you want the rear to be strong and noise free.
I would not suggest doing it yourself unless you are very familiar with how everything is set up.
A the top companies like Richmond, Pricision Gear, etc, will include an installation brochure that barely scratches the surface of what needs to be done.
I went with a custom 10-bolt with weld on ford big bearing ends to eliminate the c-clips, a 30 spline axle/posi package and a strange 3.73 gear.
It also has the heavy duty 11" drum brakes on it as well.
It should be good to around 700hp or so no problem.
I have about $1,800 into it at this point.
I own a 1979 Camaro with a 420HP SBC which is getting a twin turbo LS1
transplant this winter,so if you need a good rear axle (or engine!) to bolt right into your f-body I can help you out.

Send me a pm if you are interested, I live in the Chicago area too!
If you wind up doing it yourself I can offer you some tips over the phone to save you some grief.
You can pm me for my phone number if you want to.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.2quicknovas.com/happyrearends.html
Old 11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

The 8.5 inch 10 bolt is a strong one. Set up correctly it is as strong as a 12 bolt but much cheaper. No doubt a 9 inch is really strong, no doubt. As far as setting the gears up yourself it sounds easier than it is. The link to the instructions is good. It is exactly what I was taught. Don't be fooled into thinking that collapsing the crush sleeve is nothing, it is tough
Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I would recommend making a trip to Atomic Transmissions in Villa Park. They can tell you what it takes to install the gears. I just sold a 3.23 and a 3.42 posi from trans ams. The driveshaft place told me the 8.5" 10 bolt was good to 500 hp.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That article is OK, but not very detailed. I would not have put the new crush sleeve on until I finnished and had checked the backlash and pattern. I don`t know if they are online or not, but car-craft and chevy high performance have both done setup articles that were more in depth than that. I also used a factory GM service manual when I set my rear end up. I bought my parts from a place somewhat near UIC I think it was called national drivetrain and was on 43rd st. They had the press and didn`t charge me to press the bearing off the pinion and change the shim since I bought the parts there.

Quick Reply: 79 T/A rear end rebuild