Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a cherokee???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 in a cherokee???

I've been throwing around the idea of dropping an LS1 or LT1 in my 4cyl 2wd cherokee...i havent heard anything about anyone else doing it...if i ended up doing it besides engine tranny rearend and driveshaft, what else would i need...like i said im just playin with the idea...
Old 12-09-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man. Got a 94 XJ here... Mine is a 4.0 auto, lifted 5" with 33" tires. I really want to swap in an LS1... I think it will physically fit just fine. Something off the top of my head... I think the hardest part will just be mounting the motor. Obviously mounts will have to be made, and the only reason I feel that mounts will be alittle difficult is due to the Jeep being unibody. I havent really looked at it in much detail. Then its just finding the transmission and transfer case combo. For you it will be alittle easier...you will just have to slap the trans in.

Since the LS1 has a mostly stand alone harness...wiring really isnt an issue. Well...for the most part... I REALLY want to do this. I drive my jeep almost daily, so I gotta keep it sort of legal for now. But if I ever get a truck like I hope, and can tow my jeep, it will be mostly a trail jeep. Then its on!!

But if you decide to move forward with this, definetly keep me/us posted. There are a bunch of wranglers running around with SBCs..and some CJs...but I dont know of many cherokee's with LS1s as of yet.

Im actually torn between this and stroking my 4.0 to a 4.7...Im sort of loyal to the 4.0s.... Good luck man!

Justin
Old 12-10-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Regular

actually, the idea i had for mounting...from what i understand the 2.8 v6 xj/mj's share the same motor mounts as the 4.0 i6's. i wonder if the s10 v6 2.8l swap mounts would work for the xj/mj's. ive seen sbc's in cherokees before, so i know itll fit, i just havent seen any ls1's in them yet. just a matter of time. i just need to find a 4.0 with tranny/trans case, front axle to get my mj running again...maybe just a turbo 4.8/5.3 will do the trick...
Old 12-10-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im gettin ready to do a 5.3 swap into my buddy's yj... That is gonna be a fun ride. Ive thought about doing a 4.7 stroker.... Ide love to put a kenny bell blower on my 4.0.

I just think the LS1 would be a great motor for all around driving and all around trail duty. Plenty of power...plenty of torque. Would be crazy fun in 4Lo...

Justin
Old 12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

About the 2.8L/4.0L mounts. The S10 crowd have brackets available to mount the LSx into Blazers. These brackets use the 2.8 mounts. You may get lucky and find they would work in a XJ too...

Quick Reply: LS1 in a cherokee???